Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   R-51 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/r-51-a-102535/)

zachalbrecht 01-08-2014 07:22 PM

R-51
 
Any one have experiences with the original model 51? I really like the way this pistol looks for a carry piece. Any thoughts?

danf_fl 01-08-2014 10:54 PM

Welcome to the FTF. We have a little area called "Introductions". Stop by and say "Hi"

I have no experience with the handgun myself, but to assist others, this is what the poster is talking about (not the new R51 sub compact).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_51

hiwall 01-08-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Any one have experiences with the original model 51?
one of my sons uses a model 51 for his EDC. It is a fine gun that takes all the different ammo we have ever tried in it without ever a jam. Sights are very small and hard to see (at least for me).

zachalbrecht 01-09-2014 01:28 PM

I can see that, then again many carry weapons have minuscule sights. I guess the range is assumed to be very close. Also Remington said they did a lot of research into making this a natural pointing gun.

trip286 01-09-2014 01:40 PM

Not realizing that Remington is expanding their handgun lines, I'm looking into the new and originals.

I think the new one may be my next purchase. I'm liking the hell outta it.

Hope you find some more info on the original, OP. I'd heard of it, and seen one at a gun show, but never really looked close at it. I'm kinda regretting that decision...

trip286 01-09-2014 01:48 PM

Man, with all the hype surrounding the new one, I can't find anything on the original except some pics.

new_girsan_1911 01-10-2014 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1478521)
Man, with all the hype surrounding the new one, I can't find anything on the original except some pics.

Try wikipedia they have pretty much all the specs. 3.4 inch barrel, forged carbon steel slide, aircraft grade aluminium frame, 416 stainless barrel. 7 + 1 capacity. Has removable polymer grips and they are considering making wood and rubber grips for it as options. And considering making it in .40 and other calibers.

JW357 01-10-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_girsan_1911 (Post 1478947)

Try wikipedia they have pretty much all the specs. 3.4 inch barrel, forged carbon steel slide, aircraft grade aluminium frame, 416 stainless barrel. 7 + 1 capacity. Has removable polymer grips and they are considering making wood and rubber grips for it as options. And considering making it in .40 and other calibers.

That sounds like the new one being put out in 2014. Trip was asking about the one from the '40s ( I think that's when it came out. )

new_girsan_1911 01-10-2014 01:53 AM

Oh my bad read his post wrong. The old ones i know were made in .380 and .32acp i believe that those were the only 2 calibers the original came in. Could be wrong tho.

JW357 01-10-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_girsan_1911 (Post 1479000)
Oh my bad read his post wrong. The old ones i know were made in .380 and .32acp i believe that those were the only 2 calibers the original came in. Could be wrong tho.

I believe you're right about that. :)

Here's a good detailed multi-part YouTube video in the old model:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

I haven't been able to finish all of them yet. The old pistol seems very complicated. Pretty neat though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.