questions about hi-point firearms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > questions about hi-point firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default questions about hi-point firearms

I am looking for information about hi point firearms. I was wondering if there was anybody that could give me any information about them. I'm thinking about buying one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

I'm by no means a Hi-Point expert, but I'm sure someone more in the know about them will be along shortly.

I can say this however. They get a bad rap. Don't let other peoples opinions influence your decision to buy one, or not buy one, however. If its your first gun and your on a budget, they make a perfectly acceptable handgun. Those that do own them here keep them as "truck guns" or simple range guns for the most part.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You get what you pay for and my life is worth more than a 100 dollars to me. My friends first pistol was a highpoint 9mm. When we first took it to the range it jammed up about every three rounds. Now after a few cleanings and a little more use it fires fine most of the time. Fine pistol to play around with at the range but I would never trust my life to this firearm. If my life was in danger and I had a choice between a black powder revolver and a highpoint firearm I would pick the blackpowder revolver.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

My buddy has one, it is ugly as all hell but goes boom every time he pulls the trigger. YMMV.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have to agree with the other poster. I agree you get what you pay for, in most instances, and i certainly agree in this case. And this could stand for any product really. I dont see how a company can sell a pistol for a hundred and something dollars, turn a profit, and still make a quality product. Especially when your dealing with products that have expensive materials and allot of parts that have to be manufactured. If you think about it, it just doesnt make sense, especially if your using something to protect you and your family. Just my opinion, not trying to offend anyone. Thanks, Ed

Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbryce View Post
I am looking for information about hi point firearms. I was wondering if there was anybody that could give me any information about them. I'm thinking about buying one.
There are tons of " hi-point " info threads. Just hit the search button & type in hi-point.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbryce View Post
I look at a HiPoint a lot like buying a mountain bike at Walmart.

Do you get a fair deal for the minimal price? Sure. Will it essentially perform as advertised? Yes. Will it fall way short of your expectations if you're any kind of serious enthusiast? Absolutely.

Both the bike and the gun are practical options for a certain market. If you're going for a leisurely ride around town or along a paved bike path a couple times a month, that Walmart bike will serve you well enough. But if you want to pour a couple hours into a single track in the woods, it'll immediately let you down.

So the real question is: What kind of shooter are you and how much do you intend to shoot? Again, I think HiPoint is a viable option under the right circumstances (and it won't fall apart as easy as a WM bike). If this is all you can afford, go for it. If you have little interest in regular shooting and mostly intend to tuck it away "just in case", it makes sense. But if you intend to make a habit of shooting or at some point carrying, you're likely best served finding your way into the $300-600 price range...which opens up pistols in almost every style from a variety of reputable makers.

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-01-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbryce
My dad bought a .40 and a .45 and has never had a single issue with either. We shoot them regularly at our gun club and probably have 1000 rounds through both. Like the other guys said, I wouldn't use it as a home defense gun, but neither does my dad. He has a glock 23 shooting pdx1 rounds. They are fun guns to shoot though. They are fairly bulky.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22

I look at a HiPoint a lot like buying a mountain bike at Walmart.

Do you get a fair deal for the minimal price? Sure. Will it essentially perform as advertised? Yes. Will it fall way short of your expectations if you're any kind of serious enthusiast? Absolutely.

Both the bike and the gun are practical options for a certain market. If you're going for a leisurely ride around town or along a paved bike path a couple times a month, that Walmart bike will serve you well enough. But if you want to pour a couple hours into a single track in the woods, it'll immediately let you down.

So the real question is: What kind of shooter are you and how much do you intend to shoot? Again, I think HiPoint is a viable option under the right circumstances (and it won't fall apart as easy as a WM bike). If this is all you can afford, go for it. If you have little interest in regular shooting and mostly intend to tuck it away "just in case", it makes sense. But if you intend to make a habit of shooting or at some point carrying, you're likely best served finding your way into the $300-600 price range...which opens up pistols in almost every style from a variety of reputable makers.
I love the example.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #10

I have a 995TS and I have mixed feelings about it. The firearm is a 9mm carbine, which is nice because I have lots of 9mm ammo. It looks intimidating, is pretty easy to handle, is compact and made in America. I'd talk about it's accuracy, recoil, and ease in cleaning if I had the chance to fire it. My first time loading the 10 round magazine resulted in the plastic cap on the end popping off and scattering 9mm rounds all over the floor. When I tried calling the 800 number, I was relayed to a voicemail box (even though it was within business hours) and no one called me back. I sent an email to the address provided over 2 weeks ago, and still nothing. However, I did order a mag holder and 2 extra clips and oddly, those showed up very quickly.

I'm looking forward to trying out my 9mm carbine, and will post a comment on it shortly thereafter.

Para bellum!!

Proud NRA Member! #172327456

Lansing, MI
Ruger P95PR and counting...