Question on toy gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question on toy gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedparent210 View Post
I saw those on the internet but he wants one with metal bb's. Is there a reason why he would want metal bb's?
Yes, he is a teenage boy and they are cool...all the reason he needs. Ultimately the decison is your's on whether he is mature and responsible enough to have it.

Everybody on this board probably had a Daisy Red Ryder bb gun as a kid and look how we turned out.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IMO Toy or real you need to keep an eye on him and teach him to be responsible. Teach him that the gun shall never go with him without you permission and educate him on the officer involved shootings that involve toy guns.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #13

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Not all guns are black or silver,the below gun is very real and the police take any gun shaped object pointing at them very seriously. it is in the end up to him to use common sense when handling a gun real or fake and for you to teach him that common sense. I like many kids when i was little had a few nerf guns and i did ask my mom to buy my a BB gun simply because i was sick of shooting a foam dart 5 feet across my room and wanted to shoot things farther away and develop skill and confidence, just a though on why he may want a BB gun. Good luck

pink-gun.jpg  

Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Exactly how old is Teenage? Why not go to some Ranges and take Safety and training courses. IMO a Teenage boy should be shooting at least a .22 rifle. If you start the training early and learn safety I see no reason why it could not be something you could enjoy together.

Look here:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/happiness-23151/

Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #15

I have been reading all the replies and they are all good ones and I do agree that you have to be mature and it is best to be supervised and educated on gun safety. You hear of so many cases where young kids are getting injured (shot) and that is what I want to avoid. He is 15 yrs old and has a dart gun and his friends all have BB guns and I imagine that is why he asked for one. He does have a male role model and would be educated on how to use it and when and where it is to be used. From what I am seeing, BB guns do look very real and understand why any law enforcement officer would think it is real and this is why you hear of so many accidental shootings. On the other hand as it has been said, as a parent you have to educate your child on the dangers any gun poses whether real or fake.

I guess from what I am finding out, there are no other colors othewr than the standard black or silver. I will have to do some thinking on whether or not to get it for him. And yes as kids we all had our Red Rider guns and we did turn out well (we are still here talking about it so I guess we did good)

Thank you again for all your replies..

Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made my sone learn the parts of his Daisy BB gun before I would let him have possession of it and he had to be able to recite the firearm 10 commandments before I would hand out (limited) amounts of ammo for him to shoot.

http://www.thegunzone.com/ten-rules.html

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 02-12-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I have been reading all the replies and they are all good ones and I do agree that you have to be mature and it is best to be supervised and educated on gun safety. You hear of so many cases where young kids are getting injured (shot) and that is what I want to avoid. He is 15 yrs old and has a dart gun and his friends all have BB guns and I imagine that is why he asked for one. He does have a male role model and would be educated on how to use it and when and where it is to be used. From what I am seeing, BB guns do look very real and understand why any law enforcement officer would think it is real and this is why you hear of so many accidental shootings. On the other hand as it has been said, as a parent you have to educate your child on the dangers any gun poses whether real or fake.

I guess from what I am finding out, there are no other colors othewr than the standard black or silver. I will have to do some thinking on whether or not to get it for him. And yes as kids we all had our Red Rider guns and we did turn out well (we are still here talking about it so I guess we did good)

Thank you again for all your replies..
For all intent and purposes a BB IS real. While it may not be concidered deadly to humans it could be or at least cause some real pain. I think you're on the right track in your conciderations before the purchase. If you get it for him, make sure he understands the dangers associated with it and the punshiment that may follow if those dangers are ignored.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #18

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
I saw those on the internet but he wants one with metal bb's. Is there a reason why he would want metal bb's?
I think a viewing of the movie "A Christmas Story" in in order here. Seriously.
As a youngster, I too once suffered Ralphie Parker's fate and had an encounter with a ricochet from a steel BB. Fortunately I still have both my eyes.

Just a suggestion:

What I normally tell parents (when asked) is that if they are planning to start their offspring off with a BB gun, that they select a cheap barrel cocking gun and lead BB's instead of the usual steel variety. This does two things. It slows the rate of fire (Load and shoot one BB at a time) and the lead BB's will be more likely to deform and expend their energy if they hit a hard surface, rather than bounce right back at the shooter as the steel BB's will sometimes do.
.177 caliber lead BB Pellet | Gamo USA

And technically...... lead IS a type of metal.
However an education on the safe handling of lead regarding the washing of hands before eating or drinking will be in order as well. Unfortunately there are hazards on both sides of the isle regarding steel vs. lead BB's.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #19

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I think a viewing of the movie "A Christmas Story" in in order here.

Can't believe it took 18 posts before that reference was made... "You'll shoot your eye out kid."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #20

When I was a kid, my dad taught me all about gun safety. He used plastic toy guns (yeah they looked real) at first. Then we moved to BB and pellet rifles. Got a couple of memorable spankings involving BB guns and birds and one unfortunate window incident . So as I got older, I moved up to rifles and such, always with my dad's supervision. After college, I remember going out shooting with friends and I realized it was the first time I'd gone out without my dad. I immediately noticed all the bad habits some of my friends had and how nervous it made me.

The point behind this story is that it is very necessary to build up a kid on how to use a gun. You can't just hand it to them and expect them to act responsibly. If there's not someone in the kid's life with firearms experience, then most ranges and gun clubs host events for kids. Most of the time they are free of charge and run by certified experts, especially if sponsored by the NRA or 4H. Even if the kid only shoots BB guns, then the training he gets will serve him well.

This past summer, my 16 year old stepson asked me to teach him about guns. The first thing I did was go over the four rules of gun safety. Over the next few days, I would randomly ask him what the four rules are and what they meant. Also during that time, I went and stocked up on snap caps for all of my guns. Before he gets to shoot a gun, he has to load, unload, and handle the gun with snap caps. I started him out on a 22LR pistol and rifle and made him learn how to clean both in addition to the safety training. At the range we shoot at, the RO's are mostly retired military and one of them in particular is really good with kids and he took over for me in the marksmanship area. Sometimes kids listen to others than their parents because there's less pressure. The RO got him shooting pretty well with the 22LR's and then we let him try a 45 and a 9 mm. He's gotten pretty good and really enjoys himself now, especially shooting steel.
This summer, he's going to be taking some classes at our sportsman's club on range safety and marksmanship and is considering trying IDPA (if I can talk his mom into it). It was funny watching him "correct" his older brother when he was visiting on the safe way to handle a gun. Made me really proud of him!

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Last edited by kodiak1973; 02-12-2010 at 05:20 PM.