Question on toy gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question on toy gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question on toy gun

I am new to this forum and I had a few questions. I am interested in purchasing a toy gun for my teenage son and I wanted to know which gun would be best suited for him. I want to get him a color other than black or silver because I do not want the police or someone else mistaking it for a real gun. Are there any guns manufactured in colors other than black or silver? I'm not really educated on guns and would appreciate if anyone could direct me on which toy gun would be the best and if they offer colors other than black and silver.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to our Community. This is a strange question that we don't really encounter that often, because we are a forum concerned with real live weapons.

Now, your son, does he want a rifle or a pistol? Does he want a BB Gun? A true toy, like a soft dart shooting weapon? A paintball gun, for paintball games with friends? A laser tag gun for laser tag guns? Or just a plastic gun for playing cops and robbers with friends after school.

Help us help you....

JD

Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Squirt guns come in all different colors. Take your pick. Seriously, unless you are buying a paintball gun or an airsoft for your son he has no business with a toy gun. Kids have been known to do some stupid things with toy guns.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 AM   #4

I know it does sound out of the ordinary, but there are so many stories about toy guns and people getting shot accidentally. I really didn't know how to go about asking so I thought I would go to a gun forum and maybe get a few answers. He basically wants it to play with his friends and play the games like boys do. He said he wanted a toy bb gun that shoots metal bb's (?). As I said I don't know about guns but wanted to get it for him for his birthday next week. He does play paintball but I think they rent them. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks again for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Welcome to our Community. This is a strange question that we don't really encounter that often, because we are a forum concerned with real live weapons.

Now, your son, does he want a rifle or a pistol? Does he want a BB Gun? A true toy, like a soft dart shooting weapon? A paintball gun, for paintball games with friends? A laser tag gun for laser tag guns? Or just a plastic gun for playing cops and robbers with friends after school.

Help us help you....

JD

Old 02-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can get some airsoft "guns" that are clear.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #6

He plays paintball but rents a paintball gun when he plays. He said he wanted a bb gun that shoots metal bullets. As you said about kids getting into trouble, I agree and that is why I wanted to know if they came in any colors other than black or silver. They look very real. I tried to discourage him and I dont think I will get it for him unless it is safe and a different color other than the ones I specified. I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Squirt guns come in all different colors. Take your pick. Seriously, unless you are buying a paintball gun or an airsoft for your son he has no business with a toy gun. Kids have been known to do some stupid things with toy guns.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #7

I saw those on the internet but he wants one with metal bb's. Is there a reason why he would want metal bb's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
You can get some airsoft "guns" that are clear.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Regardless of his age, giving him a bb gun can be a good idea. The only caveat, is that he and his friends will need supervision. I remember when I was given a bb gun, I was about 13 or 14 and although I was warned to only shoot at targets I put up myself, I found the barrel being pointed elsewhere and the trigger pulled. Never was there any danger of people being hit, but it's kid's nature to "expand" a bit beyond control if you know what I mean. I'm guessing that you have very little knowlege of guns so I would advise to seek out someone who has some experience to teach your son the proper use of a gun.

I'm sure he has ideas of using a bb gun against snakes, mice, other rodents and bugs, but again I recommend close supervision until he can be trusted completely.

Wish you the best with your decision.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 02-12-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

To me (Now this is just me) There is no such thing as a TOY gun. We have safe guns and real guns. Safe guns cannot and will not fire anything that would result in anything more than a sucker mark to the forehead. I use safe guns to teach kids how to handle and do all the safety actions I enforce in my home. Like recheck the gun to make sure it is empty when it is handed to you.

He is a teenager why not find a father figure (if he doesn't have one) that is willing to teach him firearms safety and proper handling. Start with a visit to a gun store (Local over big box if you can). There is someone in there that would help I bet. If not seek out a Hunters Safety course (Even if he will not hunt it is a good class to take).

As far as him getting shot by police I think your more likely to get struck by lighting. You have to be a parent and not a friend. You enforce rules like no running through the neighborhood with the gun and a ski mask on. You can only can only use it in the back yard ect..... You are the parent and you make the rules. This goes with proper training for both you and your son and anyone else who is going to be in the house like siblings and what not.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedparent210 View Post
I saw those on the internet but he wants one with metal bb's. Is there a reason why he would want metal bb's?
Sounds like trouble to me.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....