Question on shipping a handgun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Question on shipping a handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Question on shipping a handgun

I read a post here a while back on what you could and could not do for shipping a handgun but can't seem to find it now. Perhaps someone here can refresh my memory.

I need to ship a handgun to a FFL in Texas. Can I ship via mail or do I have to go UPS NDA? I am not a FFL.

Thanks in advance!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3465 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Get a copy of the FFL's license that has an original signature.
Then goto FEDEX and send it to him.

You have proof that you sent it to an FFL holder and that it had been shipped.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10716 Times on 4638 Posts
Likes Given: 1740

ONLY a Dealer or Manufacturer can MAIL a handgun by US Mail. All of the rest of us in the unwashed masses must use FedEx or UPS Next Day Air. Postal regs are covered in the Domestic Mail Manual, under Restricted Mailings. Tariffs (rules) of USP and FedEx require next day air.

This is VERY expensive. It may be a LOT cheaper to find a Dealer that will mail it for you. Even after paying Dealer for his time, HE can use US Priority Mail Flat Rate box, and it is fairly cheap. If YOU ship it, expect around $70-$75.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can I ship FedEx 3 day select without going through my FFL?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was at a gun shop/range last week and the worker/owner told me I could ship a gun to myself in another state. Can anyone verify this?

I know that when I had to have my Springfield SD40 repaired under warranty, they emailed a label for FedX and I just dropped it at a pickup station. In less than a week, FedEx delivered it back to me at home.

Dave

Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3465 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray64 View Post
I was at a gun shop/range last week and the worker/owner told me I could ship a gun to myself in another state. Can anyone verify this?

I know that when I had to have my Springfield SD40 repaired under warranty, they emailed a label for FedX and I just dropped it at a pickup station. In less than a week, FedEx delivered it back to me at home.

Dave
Dave, yours was to and from the manufacturer. For a seller to send a firearm to a buyer, it is best to go through an FFL holder.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, the Springfield was between the Mfg and me.

On the other hand, since I'm in WV babysitting my grand kids while one of my daughters is deployed, I may need to ship a couple of carbines and a pistol back to myself in Texas when I go back, unless I drive. I flew up, but my wife hates to fly so we may drive back and that will solve everything. Thanks for any info.

Dave

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Two different issues here (I may ask Admin to make this a sticky)

First is when ownership of a gun is being transferred across a state line. With the exception of INHERITANCE, the firearm must be sent TO a FFL in the home state of the recipient. The executor of an estate MAY ship a firearm directly to the person inheriting it in another state, so long as it is legal for the recipient to possess it in that state. Spelled out in US Code, Title 18, Section 922. Otherwise, when crossing a state line, AND ownership is changing, goes TO a FFL. (Does not apply to muzzeloaders, ball and cap revolvers, etc- they are not firearms. Does not apply to gun that THAT specific gun was made before 1899- that is an ANTIQUE.)

Shipping- private citizen (no FFL) can ship a firearm TO a FFL anywhere in the US (except a handgun going INTO NY State must come FROM a FFL- state law in NY). You can MAIL a rifle or shotgun by US Mail- handguns cannot be mailed except by Dealers and Manufacturers. You can use UPS or FedEx Ground for rifles and shotguns. UPS and FedEx require next day air for HANDGUNS (go to their website, read their rules). Ask the receiving FFL for their FFL number- you can verify it on line with the ATF EZcheck system. Ship only to address on their license. (EZcheck does not work for 03 C&R FFLs- collectors- call the ATF to verify)

Shipping to yourself- perfectly legal. No transfer of ownership. I can mail rifle to self in care of hunting lodge where I will be next week. Moving company can load my guns on the moving van, and deliver them to my new home.

Shipping for repair- I can send a gun to a gunsmith or a manufacturer for repair. When repaired, they can return gun directly to me, OR send me a like kind replacement gun. Same shipping rules apply- mail is only for rifles and shotguns, UPS or FedEx for handguns. Again, no transfer of ownership.

Ammunition- Ordinary rifle, shotgun and handgun ammo CANNOT be mailed by US Mail. It CAN be shipped from a UPS or FedEx hub. It goes as GROUND, not air. It is not regulated as HAZMAT unless it is over 66 lbs. No tracer, HE, nuclear missiles, napalm, or mustard gas. Mark box with ORM-D, cartridges, small arms. Or print this and attach to box:cartridges-small-arms-orm-label-d1893.gif

PRIMERS and POWDER not assembled into ammo is a Hazardous Material. Ammo will not "mass detonate"- primers and powder will. You will need to jump thru a number of hoops to ship that by UPS or FedEx, and it is going to be VERY expensive. Also applies to percussion caps. LIVE AMMO CANNOT BE MAILED in the US Mail.

Want to be cute and mark a pistol or ammo as "metal goods" and drop it in the mail? The US Postal Inspection Service has the highest conviction rate of any Federal Law Enforcement Agency. Doing this is a Federal Felony. Be sure to let me know how that worked out for you, but I will NOT be mailing you a carton of cigarettes at your new home.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Second post- Traveling by air with a gun.

Yes, you can do it- spend some time reading first. Go to the TSA website, AND website for YOUR airline.

Gun MUST be UNLOADED (better check it twice) will need to be a LOCKED hardcase, and in your CHECKED (not carry-on) baggage. You MUST "declare" the firearm to the airline.

When you approach check in person, smile, and say (are you writing this down, son?) "Good morning. I would like to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage." Do NOT walk up, scowl, and say "I have a gun." They will usually take you to one side, have you unlock case, may ask if it is unloaded, have you sign declaration of unloaded gun, which is placed in case. Close, lock case, hand to TSA person, go get on airplane. Pistol case can be inside suitcase. Beware state rules on firearms if you have an unplanned layover, like NY or NJ.

AMMO- read your airline rules. Modest amount allowed, must be in enclosed boxes like the ones you bought it in. CANNOT be in magazines (primer of top round is exposed in a magazine).

When you arrive at destination, rifle cases may be in baggage office, not on carousel. Be sure to have card with your ID and phone number INSIDE the case.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, c3shooter. That covers everything and should be a sticky. Have a great day.

Dave