Question regarding gifting a handgun in CA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question regarding gifting a handgun in CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question regarding gifting a handgun in CA

Hello everyone. First of all, I'm new here, so hi!

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. What are the laws regarding gifting a handgun to someone who is over 18, but not 21 in California? The person giving the gift is over 21, and legally able to buy a handgun.

I know the law states that you have to be 21+ to purchase or transfer a handgun, but I'm unclear on how it deals with gifting. I have seen everything from "it's completely legal and fine," to one article saying you could be given a handgun under 16 as long as your parent "gave you permission." I even called one store and asked the person who answered, he was unsure, but didn't think so, and when he asked someone else there, they practically screamed "absolutely not," like they had some personal vendetta against under-21 handgun ownership...

I'm turning 18 this April, and my father who is into guns really wants to get me a handgun. I have been shooting since I was 9 and love pretty much anything to do with guns.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, as I'd love to own a handgun earlier than three years from now.

Thanks,
Michael

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Not just in CA, but you may also want to check Federal. BATF web site has a FAQ and guidelines on who can own a handgun. Google or Bing the BATF.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the state of California it is legal for a parent or grandparent to gift a handgun to their children or grand children. You may want to contact the DOJ to verify any age restrictions though. The pistol will not have to be surrendered to an FFL, but you will have to register the weapon in your name with the DOJ within 30 days of you receiving the pistol.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe your father could just let you borrow one when you need it to save some hassle.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!
It's rather foolish to jump to conclusions and assume the residents of the state who own guns don't know the laws, and cast these forum members off as foolish.

Regardless, the young man and his father are going to have to contact the Department of Justice and they will be able to clarify any questions they may have and take care of the registration of the firearm.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
It's rather foolish to jump to conclusions and assume the residents of the state who own guns don't know the laws, and cast these forum members off as foolish.

Regardless, the young man and his father are going to have to contact the Department of Justice and they will be able to clarify any questions they may have and take care of the registration of the firearm.
Squirrel, Cane does have a valid point. I (and others) try to stay out of legal areas. A public forum is not the place to ask for legal advice.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post

The Fed will always trump state.

And I don't appreciate being called foolish while doing my job by protecting OUR forum.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #9

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

You have to be 21 to own a pistol. So if your under 21 you can't own or be gifted a pistol.

First thing to do is NOT GO AROUND TALKING ABOUT IT.

Second thing just have him give you the dagum gun. Who the hell is going to know except you and him. AGAIN SEE ABOVE.

This is coming from a guy who grew up in CA from 1976 to 1996.

Kind of like killing the pesky neighbors dog for crappin in your yard. Shoot shovel and shut the hell up.

Also Squirrel Cane is right.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-07-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't appreciate being called a fool for advising someone to contact the California DOJ, but it's a moot point, and I think we should just squash this. Was just trying to help someone out, and that's what I thought the forum was all about. This is a process I have had to go through before, the transfer of a firearm from a family member, although I was over twenty one when it occured. I thought that I may have some insight. My apologies Cane if I hit a nerve.