Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question on Critical Defense vs regular rounds...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

The reason I use defensive rounds is because I don't want the round going through the BG and into someone else.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Beyond what has already been stated some critical defense rounds use a Nickel coated casing to help with a "brass check" as well as low flash powder to limit loss of night vision. +p loads like Hornady Critical Duty and Winchester Ranger are better suited for LE use. The higher pressures make for better barrier penetration not typical in self defense situations. The higher penetration increases pass through risk if used in the home.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I have both FMJ and HP ready in barrel. With this climate change
happening rather quickly I need to be prepared for whatever
seasonal costume the BG's might be wearing that night.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Indeed. I have always carried staggered loaded mags as well....all year round, all guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I never even thought about that. So, would you carry ball ammo instead during the winter months? I havent really thought about it because here in Florida I wear cargo shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt 12 months a year. I might add a thin jacket if it gets really cold, like 35-40 F.

So, when I go to Detroit this December, would ball be the best route since everyone will probably be wearing thick coats and jackets?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #16

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
So, when I go to Detroit this December, would ball be the best route since everyone will probably be wearing thick coats and jackets?
I have always carried staggered loaded mags. ball and JHP....all year round, all carried guns.

Blanket coverage and shot placement is King. Contrary to popular belief, it does not affect one's accuracy. Try it, you might like it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1829 Times on 991 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakhaus View Post
Werminator, when you say + O, por can you be a little more specific, I have started reloading my own and have purchased some Hornady XTP bullets. I would like to come as close as possible to a critical defense round in my reloading process...

Thanks...
It is not a good idea to use home loaded ammo for defense. A prosecutor or lawyer would have a heyday in court making you out to be some kind of monster. I like the idea of the Critical Defense ammo but a good guide line is to find out what the LEO's in your area are using and use the same.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
I never even thought about that. So, would you carry ball ammo instead during the winter months? I havent really thought about it because here in Florida I wear cargo shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt 12 months a year. I might add a thin jacket if it gets really cold, like 35-40 F.

FMJ will have a greater chance of penetration if BG wore thick clothing.
HP's will get snagged and tangled with threads of jacket.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #19

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Just try to not to use the CD ammo

accidentally at the range!

It costs 5 times what FMJs do, arrrgh!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

STAK, try this...
I had wondered how much difference it made as well a while back. At the time I was carrying a 357 snub. I took a few stacks of old phonebooks from the year before. I shot four different type rounds. Each time was at 20yds, into a new stack. First was a low power 38 in FMJ. Ripped through 6 1/2 books. The bullet was not distorted at all. Second was the same load, only it was lead round nose. 5 books. Good flat spread on the lead. Third was 38+P JHP. 7 books. The spread was phenominal. Last was 158 grain 357 semi jacketed hollow point. 8 1/2 books. The tiny little entrance hole was only about 1/4 the size of the bullet when I pulled it out of the paper. Not much on the topic, but where as the first three rounds made the stack of books flip 90 degrees to their backs, the 158 grain flipped the books 1/2 over and almost went another turn. JMHO go with the real stuff for carry. Another 2 cents of mine...look into Corbon PowerBall