Question on Critical Defense vs regular rounds...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question on Critical Defense vs regular rounds...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question on Critical Defense vs regular rounds...

Good day fellow Hand Gun Owners,

I have been perplexed over the discussions on carrying Critical Defense Rounds JHP etc for personal protection. I normally carry the same rounds i practice with at the range. My thoughts are this, I train as I fight, if I am in a situation where I HAVE to pull the trigger, the placement of the round is everything. If I can put two in the chest that is all that is needed, maybe a follow up to the face. Please help me to understand all the hype or truth on using Critical Defense Hydra Shocks Hollow Points etc, for protection.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stakhaus

Last edited by stakhaus; 11-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

hollow points have a very good chance of making bigger holes dropping the goblin's blood pressure faster saving your life or a loved ones sooner. the sooner a goblin is stopped the better the chance of survival.

point of impact from load to load at 7yards (typical SD range) is negligible.

for practical use bullet drop isnt a real factor until you get out and beyound 25yards. yeah you want to dial in an exact poi vs poa if your bullseye competition shooting. your talking fractions of an inch from light loads to heavy loads at SD ranges.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

I use hydra shok because I've been shot with one in the stomach and they hurt like hell almost died more times then I can count lucky as all hell though I'm living that and in court for me it wouldn't be so bad. Your honor I shot him with a bullet that I can catch so I figured he could catch it to it's only 11 months in the hospital if he doesn't die first

Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I went out this afternoon and shot a few mags out of my 1911. I was using Hornady TAP 230g jhp.. i was shooting at paper targets into a soft dirt and clay mixed berm. Afterwards i dug a few bullets out of the clay. I think that they mushroomed pretty decent.

20111106_191040-1.jpg

20111106_191054-1.jpg

Thats a big hunk of lead..

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

The HP ammo also limits penetration in most cases which limits collateral damage. Sometimes the Hollow point bullets will plug on clothing and act as a solid. Hornady Critical Defense is designed not to plug. This is also where the 45acp excels. it is big going in and if it doesnt expand it is still big going out.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Default thanks for the input...

Thanks fellas for the input, it is making me rethink what I load in my CC.

Stak

Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

JHP's will...

1) Dump more energy into a target, rather than carry it through the target.
2) Expand, making for a bigger hole.
3) Be less likely to exit your target and hit whatever exists beyond it.

...that's enough reason for me.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Let's not miss one of the most important parts of a round dumping energy... If a bullet hits with enough energy it creates a virtual wound cavity... This refers to the outter diameter of the bullet's impact being sucked in with the round and doing more damage to surrounding tissue than the damage done specifically by the bullet. This phenomena is more noteworthy when discussing rifle rounds due to their much higher speed and consequently higher energy on target. A round nosed bullet will push tissue out of its way while a hollow point will actually pull tissue in with it as it enters the target. The dynamics of a hollow point make it much more effective in doing damage to a gremlin and most defensive rounds are also loaded to +P rated pressures which increase the velocity it has comingout of the barrel and this also contributes to much more energy on target.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #9

Werminator, when you say + O, por can you be a little more specific, I have started reloading my own and have purchased some Hornady XTP bullets. I would like to come as close as possible to a critical defense round in my reloading process...

Thanks...

Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #10

Werminator that should be + P autocorrect got me...