Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question about saftey on S&W M&P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Question about saftey on S&W M&P

I purchased a new S&W M&P 9mm but it did not come with a saftey. How hard is it to install one or is this a gun smith situation? My wife would prefer a saftey on the gun.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #2

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts

Got two M&P's, full size and a Compact 9 neither of which have external safeties. I've never thought twice about it. In fact, I feel safer carrying the M&P's in C1 with no external safety than my 1911's which have three. M&P's are available with a thumb safety, surprised you didn't get one. Might require a new slide.

Last edited by Donn; 04-24-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Yeah I think it may be cheaper to buy a new one with a thumb safety.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

It would be cheaper and easier to just get one with a safety. Personally, I don't see why you absolutely NEED one on a DAO. They can't fire unless you pull the trigger.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
I purchased a new S&W M&P 9mm but it did not come with a saftey. How hard is it to install one or is this a gun smith situation? My wife would prefer a saftey on the gun.

Thanks!
The official word from S&W is they can not put a thumb safety on the M&P without it originally being on the gun. I tried to get them to put one on mine while they had it in for some minor work.

I want to look at one with the thumb safety side by side and see if it is just some lame answer or if there is something different between the two guns.

I like it fine without it but the little girl wanted it if possible.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Mine doesnt have a safety either. I hsve to carry it with empty chamber.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #7

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts

I ordered mine with the safety because that's how I prefer to carry. If Glock offered an external safety as an option, I would sell the M&P in a heartbeat.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

You can do it, all it entails is getting a new sear block housing, the thumb lever, the detent, and spring then cut the notches into the frame for the lever. Not as difficult as it sounds but it is kinda hard to find the parts. You will almost have to find someone who took the safety off of theirs and wants to get rid of it.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5286 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

If it bugs her you bought the wrong gun.

Some handguns with safeties all excellent guns: beretta 92series, 1911, fnx, cz75, browning hipower, taurus 92 series, hk usp series, czsp series just to name a few amongst many others.

Having a gun your scared of to carry for whatever reason leads to leaving it at home. Leaving it at home violates the cardinal rule of self defense: have a gun.

If you bought it and took it home and said "here honey i got you a gun" you did her a disservice. Always let her pick her gun. She may surprise you.

To date my wife chose as her shotgun of record a srm 1216, she picked out a xdm 9mm and a beretta m9a1

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2589 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyd46032 View Post
Mine doesnt have a safety either. I hsve to carry it with empty chamber.
Why on Earth would you "have" to carry it with an empty chamber? The gun is PERFECTLY safe with a round in the chamber.

The safety is a solution looking for a problem. The feature was probably added to meet some stupid Kali reg.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Agent_H Likes This