Question about my new Ruger III 22/45

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question about my new Ruger III 22/45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about my new Ruger III 22/45

I love the gun, have put about 50 rounds through it so far. The accuracy is amazing on this gun, I have the 5 1/2 barrel model. I have two complaints, one is the gun is hard for me to get apart and put back together. I figure this will get better with practice.

My main concern is when I put 10 rounds in magazine the first one sometimes does not get pulled up into barrel. When this happens I have to rack gun slowly and watch to see if bullet gets grabbed into barrel. After the first bullet gets shot all 9 others work great. This has happened the first 3 times out of 5 magazines. Is this commen? I hope as the gun gets broken in it will get better. I am using CCI mags.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

Default I know this is a popular gun

has anyone had any feeding issues with first bullet out of magazine?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I had that issue for a while (same gun, but shorter barrel). As I recall, it was usually that the magazine wasn't completely seated. If I gave it a firm tap up into the mag well, the problem went away. Then as the gun got broken in, the magazines slipped into place easier.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #4

I also own and love the ruger 22/45. Yes, you have to make sure that mag is slapped home so the first round feeds, and yes, it is a BITCH KITTY breaking down this thing--at first. Once you break it in though, it comes apart and functions much smoother....

Funny thing though, when Im using it at the range and old-timers see it, they more often than not tell me "eh, you dont have to break down those things--theyre made to take a beating". One fella told me he just dumps some kerosene down the barrel every so often, then oils it.

When I do shoot mine, I shoot it a LOT (300+ rounds per session), so I break it down anyway, no matter what the old timers at the range tell me.