Question about a low priced hand gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question about a low priced hand gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it were me, I would save a little longer and get something else. Yesterday a friend of mine just bought a Ruger LCP for $300 out the door. While it's not a 40 or a 45 I would trust it long before a high point. Are you sold on a semi auto or would a revolver work for you? You can pick up used 357s in the $300 range without doing too much hunting. There are other, IMO better, options out there for slightly more money.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Buying a bottom of the barrel firearm for self defense is like putting a price tag on your life and your loved ones' lives-because that's exactly what you're doing. Once the defense situation happens and your defensive firearm is woefully lacking, malfunctions, or comes apart it's too late to go back and get a good defensive system.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

This won't be for defense. I carry my Ruger P95 for that. It's mainly a target/plinker gun. Unfortunately after my recent experience with a low priced hand gun it has me thinking twice.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #14

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaz1 View Post
Sell Hi-points and Jimenez arms at the gun shows like no tomorrow. They are both acceptable guns, between the two, i'd choose Hi-point, it does have a good warranty, have sent one back to factory no questions, also they are handy in self defense situations cause if you get a FTF, it is heavy as a brick and made out of cast metal. Personally wouldn't carry one, but for plinking, cheap, handles alot of the recoil for you, and can be fed cheapo WOLF steel case. Minuses they are heavy, ugly, heavy, do have some "thinner" components, heavy, very big and did I say heavy.
Here's a hypothetical question about the great Highpoint warranty.

If someone buys a highpoint from you for personal defense and is shot and killed due to a malfunction during the act of self defense, does the warranty transfer to the dead owners family so the gun can be repaired?

That would be an excellent selling point (no pun intended) at your gun shows.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #15

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Buying a bottom of the barrel firearm for self defense is like putting a price tag on your life and your loved ones' lives-because that's exactly what you're doing. Once the defense situation happens and your defensive firearm is woefully lacking, malfunctions, or comes apart it's too late to go back and get a good defensive system.
Bear, that's sig worthy right there!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #16

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

If someone buys a highpoint from you for personal defense and is shot and killed due to a malfunction during the act of self defense, does the warranty transfer to the dead owners family so the gun can be repaired?

Cane is wise and thoughtful...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You might consider taking a look at a Sigma .40
Very good Pistol for a great price.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

LOL
Perhaps I gave the wrong impression, i encourage all persons looking for a S.D. gun to look in the $400 level and above (NIB price). But the scary thing is how many people don't believe me and buy a Jimenez, or a Taurus derringer two shot to put in their pocket.
As for Hi-point absolutely, after the family picks up the possessions from the coroner they can have it shipped in for service.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Sorry but there is no way the words acceptable and Jimenez (or Bryco, or Lorcin) belong in the same sentence. No gun that has a penchant for self-destruction and routine failures can even be remotely considered acceptable. If you are selling these things to people that need a gun for defense - I hope you are including a free baseball bat as they deserve something reliable...
Reread my section about the heavy as a brick and made of steel for Hi-point (re: baseball bat), and believe it or not I have three J.A.'s and have shot maybe 500-600 through each with only 1-2 issues, that is actually better than my sig's I have had 3 with an issue each and 1 has had so many I sent it back, But BEFORE ANYONE HOPS ME I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE BETTER THAN SIG's, just that they get better with each name change in 15 years they might be good.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

When I buy a firearm it's usefulness for a club is not on my list of expectations.