Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question about a low priced hand gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Question about a low priced hand gun

Ok guys and gals. I've been looking at the Hi-Point firearms. Let the flamings begin.... does anyone have any experience with the hand guns? I've been all over the internet looking at reviews and from what I can gather you either love'em or hate'em. I don't think there all that bad looking. Damn thing can be Orange and yellow for all I care just so it shoots and shoots straight. Thinking bout the .40 or .45. Any info will be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

They work, are ugly but come with a lifetime warranty.

If its what you can afford, go for it.

Personally I'd save up a few more bucks and get this;

Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $399.00

Twice the price but twice the pistol!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We have quite a few folks here that started with the Hi Point as their first pistol.

Awhile back, after the Obamination took office, I was trying to find one locally to do take into the shop and do a complete strip down and report on it for the folks here. I could never find one in stock because they were moving out the door as fast as they were coming in... LOL

Here's the deal. The construction is not even close to good. It's pot metal and the tolerances are VERY loose.

Then again, the same can be said about the early addition AK's that good old Mikhail was turning out. Stamped out of cheap steel with loose tolerances. They seemed to have survived just fine. :P

The important thing is if it's going to go bang for you. There was a member here for a long time Sgt-Miller, and he did quite a few threads about his Hi-Point and what he was able to shoot with it. It almost always seemed to perform for him and he shot really well with it. Now, have said that, he was also a good shot naturally, so he shot well with a lot of pistols.

Personally, I would save a bit more money get something a little higher up the food chain, used if need be, but if this is what you can afford, and you need it now - get it.

Just make sure you spend a lot of time getting to know the weapon and putting a lot of rounds through it so you know what to expect.

At the end of the day, a $200 pistol or a $2000 pistol isn't worth what you paid for it if you can't get a shot off when you need too.

JD

Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Id rather someone buy a Used Bersa or Star, than buy any Hi-Point. Even a RG revolver could be found for less than a hundred bucks, and is a WAY better gun.

Check out the confiscated weapons section of www.summitgunbroker.com There are plenty of $200 options that are leaps and bounds over low-life er,.....uh Hi-point.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Ok, I've been through this several times now.

I have the .45 and roughly 2k rounds through it. The biggest problem with them are the magazines. Thin steel, weak spring and wide tolerances.

Now, the question is: Do I like it? Yes, it shoots the .45 ACP ball and HP's (ball more reliable), but a fun plinker.

The next question is: Would I trust my life to my Hi-Point? If I had to, but I got it knowing it would not be my first line of hot projectile defense of home.

It is too heavy and bulky for a carry piece unless you are out on the farm and owb.

I have not had to use them, but their customer service department gets great reviews.

Made in Ohio.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How acurate are they lets say in a Ransom rest?
F.K.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm looking at the .45 model. It won't be for carry as thsts what my Ruger P95 is for. Just looking for an entry level full size .45 as I am a big guy and have big hands, the sub compacts just aren't comfy to shoot.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Personally, I'd hold out for something a little nicer. But if you like the looks and feel of that darn thing, it's hard to go wrong for what, $170?

Go for it.

If you decide to sell it (privately), you'll probably get within $20-40 of the original price anyway. That's one of the nice things about guns...if you're a careful buyer it's usually easy enough to get most of your money back out if something doesn't quite suit you. Makes for a low risk endeavor.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

Sell Hi-points and Jimenez arms at the gun shows like no tomorrow. They are both acceptable guns, between the two, i'd choose Hi-point, it does have a good warranty, have sent one back to factory no questions, also they are handy in self defense situations cause if you get a FTF, it is heavy as a brick and made out of cast metal. Personally wouldn't carry one, but for plinking, cheap, handles alot of the recoil for you, and can be fed cheapo WOLF steel case. Minuses they are heavy, ugly, heavy, do have some "thinner" components, heavy, very big and did I say heavy.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaz1 View Post
Sell Hi-points and Jimenez arms at the gun shows like no tomorrow. They are both acceptable guns
Sorry but there is no way the words acceptable and Jimenez (or Bryco, or Lorcin) belong in the same sentence. No gun that has a penchant for self-destruction and routine failures can even be remotely considered acceptable. If you are selling these things to people that need a gun for defense - I hope you are including a free baseball bat as they deserve something reliable...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-28-2010 at 10:26 AM.