Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   question about gun registration (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/question-about-gun-registration-22107/)

silver_q2002 01-12-2010 11:10 PM

question about gun registration

ok guys im new here! im not new to guns but im not too sure where to post my topic at!
well i have a handgun i bought beginning of jan09 its regerstered in my name!
well its a very good gun and all im just wanting to buy my dream gun s&w model 686.. anyways when i have a buyer wanting to buy my gun how can i legally get it out of my name and into theres?
i live in columbus ohio and have many gunshops around me. i just dont know if they charge a fe or even how to go about this?
thanks guys for any info/help

p.s
the gun is a taurus 24/7 pt pro c ds .45 im about to sell mint condition

c3shooter 01-12-2010 11:30 PM

First, my son, tell me why you feel this handgun is "registered " to you?

Last time I looked, Ohio- like MOST of the US, does not have registration of firearms. When you bought the gun from a dealer, you completed a form 4473, which the DEALER retains for 20 years.

Now, you CAN sell directly to a resident of the same state you live in. If going to someone from another state, it must go to a dealer in their state. You can make up two copies of a bill of sale, ask for the buyer's ID, fill out both copies, sign one, give it to him, have him sign one that you keep. Just in case you are worried about someone looking for you in the future, you KNOW who you sold to.

You can also find a dealer that is willing to do a transfer (auction arms and gunbroker both have a "find a ffl tab". Contact dealer, see if he is willing to do this as a transfer. He sets his own fee- typically around $50. DO NOT sell a gun to anyone you have cause to believe cannot legally own a gun- minor, illegal alien, convicted felon, etc.

Link to Ohio gun laws: Ohio Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Ohio

silver_q2002 01-12-2010 11:42 PM

i feel the gun is reg. in my name b/c i filled out a bunch of paperwork when i purchased it from buckeye outdoor here in hebron ohio.

is this not true or was that just a background check form only? or how is it when they run my serial number it shows up in my name? im confused now
and of coarse i know not to sell the gun to some nut and anyone under 21.

silver_q2002 01-13-2010 12:00 AM

also if i do a bill of sale and lets say martial law takes affect i just give them that piece of paper and im good to go?
i think id rather just have them pay the gunmans fee and do it that way..

WVwheelgunner 01-13-2010 02:31 AM

If martial law takes effect, you'll want to keep your gun to protect yourself from anyone who wants to take it away - including your government. That's specifically why the founders included the right to keep and bear arms as one of your rights. That right is the only one which will ensure you keep your other rights.

You don't have to do any paperwork if you sell a HAND gun to someone who lives in your state. Just ask for an ID to make sure they reside in state - ATF agents in some states are buying HAND guns from individuals at gun shows, and arresting those individuals later.

Long arms can be sold intrastate by a non-dealer.

Hobo Bob 01-13-2010 05:08 PM

As has been stated above, you can sell it to another individual from your state. The gun will still show you as the owner if it turns up on someones data base. That is why it is a good idea to get info from the person who bought it. When you trade it in at a gun shop for another gun, they will have you fill out another GD form transferring the gun to them, so that they in turn can legally sell it to someone else.

silver_q2002 01-13-2010 07:26 PM

ok thanks guys!!