Question about cleaning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question about cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Question about cleaning

I just took my M&P .40 out to the range for the first time, so when I got home I went ahead and cleaned it. After I finished I noticed that the barrel still had some discoloration in it, almost like it wasn't clean (if that makes any sense). So I guess my question is, do I need to clean it again or is that just what the inside of the barrel looks like after putting rounds through it? Kind of a newbie question to ask, but I am a first time pistol owner...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Well Doyle, without actually being able to visualize it, I am going to venture out and say it was heat discoloration in the barrel. If it is a residue I would clean it again. Hell, I would just clean it again for chits & giggles, a clean gun is functional and happy gun. How much and what kind of ammo did you run through it today?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jack answered your question well and congrats on the M&P. How do you like the pistol? Also of you could tell us what you used to clean it, might be you need to use a different method or product.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ammo; copper, lead?

Cleaner; Brand?

Brush, jag, patch, ......................

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #5

The more you clean a barrel, the more it shines. Did you use a bronze brush with a patch wrapped around it? Did you scrub all the way through and all the way back in one continuous through-stroke between breech and muzzle?

A genuinely, 'dirty barrel' usually shows some sort of, 'streaking' around the lands and grooves. Personally, I doubt that one box of 40 caliber (jacketed, right!) ammo is going to crap up the grooves.

Sometimes the manufacturing process will leave the bore slightly on the dull side. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep on shooting and cleaning that new pistol. You'll be fine; and, eventually, the bore will become bright.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the help people. Now to answer some of your questions. The ammo I used was 1 box of Winchester 180gr full metal jackets (the target rounds) and 1 box of Winchester 165gr WinClean Brass Enclosed rounds. I bought the Hoppes 9 pistol cleaning kit and the only thing it didn't come with is a jag.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #7

Did you clean it before shooting it the first time? There is usually a factory lube that needs to be cleaned before firing. It can burn and lead to discoloration in barrels.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Thanks for all of the help people. Now to answer some of your questions. The ammo I used was 1 box of Winchester 180gr full metal jackets (the target rounds) and 1 box of Winchester 165gr WinClean Brass Enclosed rounds. I bought the Hoppes 9 pistol cleaning kit and the only thing it didn't come with is a jag.
Hell ain't nothing wrong with what you shot, them 2 you mentioned are good ammo. The Winclean should have helped a little to keep the barrel clean. I still think it is heat discoloration, no need to worry.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #9

Yes Meek, I surely did clean my pistol before I shot it for the first time.

And thanks Jack, I figured it was just discoloration from the heat. Like I said I'm new to all of this, so I'm sure I'll be asking some more newbie questions in the future. But so far everyone on this forum has been very helpful, and I definitely have a new hobbie!!!

Thanks again for all the advice