Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question about 9mm 127 +p+

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about 9mm 127 +p+

Hi everyone. I recently purchased some Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger +P+ 127GR T-Series online. I ordered this because some online forums said, "this is the best". I own a S & W MP9 and a Kahr MK9. Now I see and hear conflicting information concerning the safety of using +P+. Has anyone had used this Ammunition? Do you have any advise. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

9mm+P+ ammo is made for use in pistol caliber machine guns. If you check your owners manual I am sure it will forbid you from using this ammo in your handguns. If you must use it, buy an UZI.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Kelly. Some of the regulars would like to see you stop by the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. I will leave that choice up to you.

What you have at the bare basic breakdown is a 127 grain round of 9mm ammo with enough powder behind it to create "extra" chamber pressure to cause the round to travel at higher than normal speeds.

From Smith & Wesson:

"Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated"

I don't know about Kahr, but I suspect the same can be found in their manuals on their firearms.

+P+ as I understand it, does not conform to traditional SAAMI specs, so velocities will vary, thus the manufacturers are covering their asses ahead of time.

Now, from a purely practical standpoint, I think your weapons would handle 6 or 8 rounds of it in a self defense situation, which is all you need. However to find out where the rounds impact and how the weapon will tolerate feeding them, you will need to try shooting them. At least a box worth.

Shooting a box "COULD" cause a problem with your weapon that you don't know about.

It could also be 100% safe and this is just a legal precaution.

The only weapons that I know of that come RATED to handle +P+ from the manufacturer are some H&K Pistols and some high end 1911's.

I personally carry Winchester Ranger ammo and believe it is some of the best ammo out there, but you might have more fish than you have line trying to shoot it out of these specific pistols.

Perhaps step back to the straight +P or consider selling off two pistols and getting one that is rated for this type of round.

Best of luck.

JD

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMP View Post
Hi everyone. I recently purchased some Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger +P+ 127GR T-Series online. I ordered this because some online forums said, "this is the best".
Do you know the muzzle velocity and/or energy of these +P+ rounds??

Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Add Glock to the list of +P+ a-ok guns.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Add Glock to the list of +P+ a-ok guns.
Byrd - You have paperwork on that? This has been debated a couple of times and +P is a definite from Father Gaston, but +P+ has been back and forth a couple of times.

Anything definite??

Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just no +P+ in a .40 glock.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I guess I don't understand this fascination with +++P+++P+++ ammo. If I need more punch than 9mm, I'll just move up in caliber rather than wonder if my gun will take it.

BTW, "best" ammo belongs in the same fairy tale as "best" gun...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Just no +P+ in a .40 glock.
[url]http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/editor/attach.gif[/url

This guy tried it.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 06-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I guess I don't understand this fascination with +++P+++P+++ ammo. If I need more punch than 9mm, I'll just move up in caliber rather than wonder if my gun will take it.

BTW, "best" ammo belongs in the same fairy tale as "best" gun...

My guess is the actual fascination was about the price...