Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Question about 9mm 127 +p+ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/question-about-9mm-127-p-37608/)

KellyMP 01-29-2011 09:29 PM

Question about 9mm 127 +p+

Hi everyone. I recently purchased some Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger +P+ 127GR T-Series online. I ordered this because some online forums said, "this is the best". I own a S & W MP9 and a Kahr MK9. Now I see and hear conflicting information concerning the safety of using +P+. Has anyone had used this Ammunition? Do you have any advise. Thanks.

billdeserthills 01-29-2011 09:33 PM

9mm+P+ ammo is made for use in pistol caliber machine guns. If you check your owners manual I am sure it will forbid you from using this ammo in your handguns. If you must use it, buy an UZI.

Dillinger 01-29-2011 10:27 PM

Welcome to the Forum Kelly. Some of the regulars would like to see you stop by the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. I will leave that choice up to you.

What you have at the bare basic breakdown is a 127 grain round of 9mm ammo with enough powder behind it to create "extra" chamber pressure to cause the round to travel at higher than normal speeds.

From Smith & Wesson:

"Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated"

I don't know about Kahr, but I suspect the same can be found in their manuals on their firearms.

+P+ as I understand it, does not conform to traditional SAAMI specs, so velocities will vary, thus the manufacturers are covering their asses ahead of time.

Now, from a purely practical standpoint, I think your weapons would handle 6 or 8 rounds of it in a self defense situation, which is all you need. However to find out where the rounds impact and how the weapon will tolerate feeding them, you will need to try shooting them. At least a box worth.

Shooting a box "COULD" cause a problem with your weapon that you don't know about.

It could also be 100% safe and this is just a legal precaution.

The only weapons that I know of that come RATED to handle +P+ from the manufacturer are some H&K Pistols and some high end 1911's.

I personally carry Winchester Ranger ammo and believe it is some of the best ammo out there, but you might have more fish than you have line trying to shoot it out of these specific pistols.

Perhaps step back to the straight +P or consider selling off two pistols and getting one that is rated for this type of round.

Best of luck.

JD

Eric0424 01-29-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyMP (Post 432356)
Hi everyone. I recently purchased some Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger +P+ 127GR T-Series online. I ordered this because some online forums said, "this is the best".

Do you know the muzzle velocity and/or energy of these +P+ rounds??

BigByrd47119 01-30-2011 12:01 AM

Add Glock to the list of +P+ a-ok guns.

Dillinger 01-30-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 (Post 432415)
Add Glock to the list of +P+ a-ok guns.

Byrd - You have paperwork on that? This has been debated a couple of times and +P is a definite from Father Gaston, but +P+ has been back and forth a couple of times.

Anything definite??

HKSlinger 01-30-2011 11:13 PM

Just no +P+ in a .40 glock.:D

NGIB 01-30-2011 11:18 PM

I guess I don't understand this fascination with +++P+++P+++ ammo. If I need more punch than 9mm, I'll just move up in caliber rather than wonder if my gun will take it.

BTW, "best" ammo belongs in the same fairy tale as "best" gun...

HKSlinger 01-30-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKSlinger (Post 433151)
Just no +P+ in a .40 glock.:D

[url]http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/editor/attach.gif[/url

This guy tried it.

billdeserthills 02-01-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 433155)
I guess I don't understand this fascination with +++P+++P+++ ammo. If I need more punch than 9mm, I'll just move up in caliber rather than wonder if my gun will take it.

BTW, "best" ammo belongs in the same fairy tale as "best" gun...

My guess is the actual fascination was about the price...