Question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question

What gun do you guys prefer?

The Springfield XD9 or the Glock19? To those of you who have shot them,

what was the major difference for you? Why do you prefer it?

Also do you guys prefer 9mm or .45?

Just some questions my dad and I were wondering, hes trying to decide on a gun. Any suggestions or answers would be great!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6827 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 513

my pref is 1911. i prefer steel or aluminum frames over plastic. but ive fired the xd and glock and the xd is waaaaay better than the glock so if forced to pick i would go with the xd. they just feel better built and are more comfortable. between the two.

i prefer the 45acp over 9mm. in handguns my belief is bullet weight is far more important than speed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

What Jon Said!
ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A Glock 19 was my first semi-automatic pistol and it was a great handgun. Then I discovered the 1911 and things changed and my buddy owns the Glock.

The XD may or may not be superior to the Glock, but I don't care for its higher bore axis.

For self defense, I prefer the idea of the larger .45ACP caliber. Thankfully, I haven't had occasion to test my theory yet.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

The truth is no one can tell you what gun is best for you.
The XD and Glock are both good, reliable guns and either one would be a good choice, but it just depends on which one feels better to you and what you're more accurate with.
I'm a big fan of XD's, I have shot them, but I don't own one yet. However I recently found that I'm actually more accurate with a Glock.
As long as you stick with a good brand like Springfield, Glock, Smith & Wesson, CZ, Colt, etc. You won't have to worry about quality and durability, just find the one that feels right in your hand, and if you can find a range that rents guns, shoot as many different pistols as you can and see what works best for you.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
The truth is no one can tell you what gun is best for you.

The XD and Glock are both good, reliable guns and either one would be a good choice, but it just depends on which one feels better to you and what you're more accurate with.
There is a lot of wisdom in those words. No one here can tell you what is going to be right for you and your dad. You really need to go and shoot them both and see which one you like best.

Personally I do not like the grip angle or design on the Glock. The weapon is a fine, simplistic design that is easy to care for and will go bang everytime you need it to do so, even if you don't care for it. I do not like a weapon without a manual safety. The Glock is such a pistol. For me, it just doesn't feel right in my hands. That is a personal thing.

With the XD I think they took what Glock did, made some subtle changes and that is why you are seeing Glock on their 4th generation design in 30 plus years. The XD addressed a couple of the perceived, fairly or unfairly, "flaws" in the Glock design. The grip angle is more comfortable, plus a lot of their models have adjustable back straps, to help make the weapon fit your hand better. They also offer models with a frame mounted manual safeties, the way they were intended to be.

Personally I have shot half a dozen of each manufacturer's offerings - but I have yet to find a model in either line that could compare to how I feel with a 1911 in my hands.

I would suggest you go to a range where they rent handguns and shoot them both to see what you think.

Good luck.

JD

Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm a Glock guy, but the Xds are great pistols. It comes down to personal taste and fit, and only you can decide which one is better for you.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Jed,

Of the two choices you mentioned. Both pistols are good pistols. If you are basically wanting them to target shoot a lot. The 9mm would be cheaper regarding purchasing ammunition. *As if there was such a thing anymore as Cheap Ammunition! HA! HA! However as far as defense, I would personally choose the 45 ACP Cal. or the 40 S&W Cal pistols of either manufacturer.
And yes I like the 45 Cal 1911 Pistols also. But for a good 1911 style pistol of good quality with some good features you are talking more money over the pistols mentioned.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3534 Times on 2028 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

My preference is a 1911 platform in .45ACP. I've tried others and keep coming back to the 1911.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My preference is for the 1911 as well, but I do own two XDm pistols. The glock is a good pistol but the XD style pistol, specifically the Xdm, fits my hand much better.

As for which pistol is better. The answer is neither or both. It all depends on how you shoot the weapon and how it fits in your hand. The Glock's grip angle feels odd in my hand and that causes me to shoot it poorly in comparison to an XD. But the XD's accuracy and reliability is pretty much the same as the Glock.

Here's a funny video that illustrates my point:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!