Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question

I'm about to get a laser sight for one of my pistols and I'm wondering if I can mount it myself or if I need a gunsmith to do it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Edward

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Does your gun have a rail and are you buying a rail mounted laser? If so, it's a few minute job at best (you'll have to dial it in though)...

Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Several questions:

What type of handgun do you have?

Do you want a below the barrel sight? Or have you looked into Crimson Trace grip replacements that do the same job?

Have you seen the guide rod replacement pieces that also double as a laser?

Now, the important question: Do you realize that lasers point two ways and by "lighting someone up" you are also telling them RIGHT where you are?

Not judging, I put a laser on two pistols I have had in the past and there was no talking me out of it. Just trying to impart a little been there wisdom.

JD

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #4

Default Question

Thanks to you both for your quick responses. I'll probably mount it on one of my Sprinfields, either my XD sub compact or my XDM 3.8, both .40 cals and both have rails. I'll probably mount it under the barrel, on the rail. I've heard of the others laser types, but haven't looked into them yet. Yeah, I am aware it gives me away, which is a big consideration since I'm disabled and can't move very fast. I'm not wheel chair bound, just operate with a very bad back. I'm just looking for whatever edge I can get over the bad guys, in the event that ever happens. Thanks again for your input.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

For a rail mount, you can do that yourself.
The most time consuming thing will be "Dialing it in" (making the laser line up with where the bullet goes).
The laser will usually have two allen (hex) head set screws, one on the side of the laser for adjusting side to side, and one either on the top or bottom for adjusting up and down.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #6

Default Ouestion

If I may ask, how come you're unhappy with the Crimson Trace on your XD Sub?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you going to conceal carry it? This is real nice.
http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_Sights/Rear_Sight_XD

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent