Quality
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Quality

There seems to be an ongoing discussion or dissection of different makes, styles, and calibers of pistols, revolvers, and long guns.

My question or statement is this, what is quality?Is it an individual's ability to purchase a particular price range or is it personal taste? Or is it a substantiated scientific fact based on metallurgy or manufacturing techniques?

For example, is quality equal to reliability? If so the Glock line is a clear cut winner. Is it timelessness in design? In that case 1911's certainly have the track record to take this title.

I love this forum for the information it provides and the truly dedicated people that love their freedom and their hobby. I for one believe you never stop learning. If you do not think there is anything you don't know about a particular gun you are either full of yourself or sadly delusional. No one knows it all. I'm a thirty year construction general contractor and I learn or at least try to learn something new every day.

This post or thread could be on every portion of this forum. The fact is this is an open forum and we should embrace new members and old members alike. We all should be like minded in regards to our sport/hobby. Isn't it more pleasant to say "In my experience..." rather than "Read what the newbie wrote" or rolleyes.. When we bicker and demean it just causes separation of our cause which is gun ownership and freedom of speech.

New guys do take advantage of the search feature there is a vast amount of experience and knowledge here. Old experts, help instead of bravado.

Just a thought you all can pound if you want to but sometimes things need to be restated.

I appreciate you all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I agree quality is different for different people and different types of guns. It is just a fact that if you want a light frame you have to give up some durability. But the light weight can still be a quality made gun. Look at double barrel shotguns - you could have 2 different quality made guns that might be two or three thousand dollars different in price. Different strokes for different folks.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2988 Times on 1722 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Every person has an opinion.
What one may think is "quality", another may disagree.

Look at sockets and socket wrenches. Yeah, you could go to Harbor Freight and buy a set, use it once in a while, and if none break, call it a quality set.
But if you had to rely on that same socket set to make your living, would you? Using the set every day and get sockets that round out or break, the wrench stops working. Then the same socket set is not of the "quality" you need.

Same could be said of firearms. Used once in a while, any firearm could be considered of good quality. Used continuously in competition or just weekend practice sessions, and the better ones start to emerge.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

When I think quality, I think "will my grandchildren be able to enjoy this one day?"

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
When I think quality, I think "will my grandchildren be able to enjoy this one day?"
I think--Will I make money if I trade this thing off

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

To me, firearm quality is based on whether the firearm shoots consistently every time without failure.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

Liked 769 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quality and value are sometimes used interchangeably yet, strictly speaking, quality is an objective measure of how well, specifically how defect-free, an item is manufactured or how well it meets established standards; while value is a subjective measure of a product's perceived quality versus it's price. People rarely make a purchasing decision based entirely on quality; price or value are typically the deciding factor. It's what an Economist would call a "utility" function.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 06-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Liked 1045 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 683

And, just to point out, "meets established standards" has meaning, too. The established standards on 2 blueprints could be quite different, depending on what is called out for tolerances, but if you meet them during the manufacturing process, you've made a quality part.

For me it is exactly the value perceived VS. cost that matters. I like to spend a little more, and get a nicer more polished product. That's why I sold the Hipoint, and favor the Berettas, Rugers, and soon, Sig. But the HP is still quality, at it's price point IMHO.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #9

Liked 2566 Times on 1459 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

IMO, quality merely refers to the manufacture of the firearm,

and the quality control work which goes into being sure

it leaves the factory in top-notch shape.

Now, qualities I like to see in a firearm

are reliability, accuracy(or "natural pointing"),

durable finish, redundant safeties, and ease of use.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I wouldn't say that quality and reliability aren't the same, but they certainly are linked closely.

Last edited by Polygon; 06-03-2012 at 11:05 PM.