Pushing the Trigger - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pushing the Trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

CDNN generally has cheap ones that work good for dry firing as well. It really does help to hone your grip and trigger control...

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #12

Default press straight back

I have the same problem. I just have to concentrate in pressing the trigger straight back. Maybe with enough practice it will become automatic.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a similar experience. I have been shooting IPSC for years and have always used the traditional grip for IPSC where both your thumbs point forward. On double taps I always had the problem with low and left, just like you. Recently I took an ICPS course ( no I did not misspell IPSC....), and the instructor insisted that I tried the grip that the Israeli used for this technique, which is pretty similar the way you grip a revolver with two hands, i.e. your left thumb crosses over the right thumb, and both thumbs point as much downwards as possible. This totally changed my shooting, and it became obvious in the 777 drill. From concealment you draw and shot seven shots at seven meters at seven seconds. Once I changed the grip I was able to do it in 3 seconds….. and all shots were nicely centered.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
I had a similar experience. I have been shooting IPSC for years and have always used the traditional grip for IPSC where both your thumbs point forward. On double taps I always had the problem with low and left, just like you. Recently I took an ICPS course ( no I did not misspell IPSC....), and the instructor insisted that I tried the grip that the Israeli used for this technique, which is pretty similar the way you grip a revolver with two hands, i.e. your left thumb crosses over the right thumb, and both thumbs point as much downwards as possible. This totally changed my shooting, and it became obvious in the 777 drill. From concealment you draw and shot seven shots at seven meters at seven seconds. Once I changed the grip I was able to do it in 3 seconds….. and all shots were nicely centered.
That's my grip/shooting technique as well.

Works very well for me.

Holding the pistol

"The pistol is held in the strong hand as close to the bore axis as possible, fingers firmly, almost convulsively, griping it. The thumb is not pointed forward but bent down and pressing against the palm. Index finger is of course laid along the frame of the pistol, on the trigger guard respectively. The strong arm is along the side of the body with elbow bent so the forearm is horizontal and the gun points naturally towards the target. For the basic exercise the gun is already loaded with a bullet in the chamber and the hammer is cocked."

http://www.mouseguns.com/kilofile/israeli.pdf

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #15

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks guys!!! After I got done being pissed at myself I went out and bought a laser and mounted it. I sat there for about an hour and be dammed by using the tip of my finger on this one it cured most of the problem. I think the grip is just a little smaller then on anything else I own in a larger or semi-larger frame. My little Keltec and NAA I actually use more finger to make them work. Might just be something odd about me.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dial in a little thumb pressure. I was milking the grip weak-handed a few months ago and backing up the side that the gun was turning to fixed it immediately.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #17

Default think scratch

In my opinion, rather than a " pushing a button" kind of pressure, think instead " scratching an small itch" kind of touch, also if you are right handed use the left to steady the pistol and Vice versa if you are a lefty.
I use a beaver and this tactic gets me good groups at 15 yards

Also like someone else pointed out, I use the tip of the finger rather than the joint.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

You can also place a dime, or spent brass casing on top of the slide, and dry fire without knocking the dime/casing off.........

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
You can also place a dime, or spent brass casing on top of the slide, and dry fire without knocking the dime/casing off.........
Now this sounds interesting, i'm looking for a spent cartridge right away to check it out