Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pushing the Trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Pushing the Trigger

Guys I am so frusterated at myself and I need some suggestions. I just bought a new taurus pt 145 millenium pro and for some reason I just cant get myself to stop pushing the trigger so no matter what I keep hitting low and left. I have never had a problem with this before. I know its me because I had a bud fire it and he is dead on!!! Suggestions would be great!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Try using just the tip of your trigger finger and also see if you can gently pull the trigger straight back. A lighter touch should help.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Have you tried having someone load you a magazine and include some dummy or spent cartridges?? This is very helpful, especially with new shooters, but I haven't seen anyone that can't benefit from it since I learned about it. And yes, even me.

How much dry fire practice are you doing?

Are you more used to a tuned trigger?

A little more information might help. I don't know if you have a copy of this right handed target, but I take these, print them out, put a 3" shoot and see in the center and everyone loves them.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

CA has a great suggestion there. It may also be just learning the gun/trigger. The 'snap' of the trigger should be a surprise, and you might be expecting it. If possible, get some snap caps and have a friend load the gun for you so you don't know when the snap cap is coming. Have your friend watch your trigger pull and nothing but your trigger pull. The target is secondary until your friend tells you what he/she sees.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 AM   #5

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you using a two hand grip?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

There are a lot of good suggestions above. You already took care of the biggest step — having someone else shoot it.

You said you never had this problem before. How does the grip size of this gun compare with your others? And does your friend who shot your new gun accurately have hands about the same size as yours? My wife has a pistol that she is deadly accurate with, but the thing is just too small for me. For me to get on target at all, I have to do so many contortions with my grip hand and trigger finger that it looks like I'm trying to throw gang signs while I'm shooting. Sometimes a gun just doesn't fit.

Try comparing your natural grip on the Taurus and some other guns that you know you're accurate with. See where your trigger finger naturally falls. If your finger falls in a different place on just that trigger, that may be your problem.

Best of luck.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

While I'm not a huge fan of lasers for actual shooting - they are great to spot problems while dry firing. Pick up a cheap pistol laser and practice until there's no movement during your trigger pull...

Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default may i suggest??

I had a British officer train me with the BAP, the Browning High Power to you. He had me dry fire it until my hand was numb. I played with it for weeks dry firing. I learned every error I was making with the trigger by watching the sight picture move when I pulled the trigger.

I would suggest using a "gun condom" (snap cap) for this to help protect the firing pin.

You guys will be kind and let me know if I say something stupid won't you. This is all kind a new to me.

Love between a man and a woman is not an emotion. It is a commitment.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie View Post
I had a British officer train me with the BAP, the Browning High Power to you. He had me dry fire it until my hand was numb. I played with it for weeks dry firing. I learned every error I was making with the trigger by watching the sight picture move when I pulled the trigger.

I would suggest using a "gun condom" (snap cap) for this to help protect the firing pin.

You guys will be kind and let me know if I say something stupid won't you. This is all kind a new to me.
You basically said the same thing I did. The laser makes it VERY easy to see the problems you create with your technique...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
You basically said the same thing I did. The laser makes it VERY easy to see the problems you create with your technique...
+1 on the laser. I do exactly that, zero the laser to cowitness the iron sights, aim it at the center of the chart posted and see where the dot is after I pull the trigger, after checking and rechecking that the gun is unloaded of course. If it's outside the 10 ring you have a good idea of your problem.

Laser I use was purchased on e-bay for $25. Probably would not hold zero in real world use but it does what I need it to do.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington