Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Pushing the Trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pushing-trigger-30553/)

lukeisme 08-18-2010 03:11 AM

Pushing the Trigger

Guys I am so frusterated at myself and I need some suggestions. I just bought a new taurus pt 145 millenium pro and for some reason I just cant get myself to stop pushing the trigger so no matter what I keep hitting low and left. I have never had a problem with this before. I know its me because I had a bud fire it and he is dead on!!! Suggestions would be great!!

CA357 08-18-2010 03:19 AM

Try using just the tip of your trigger finger and also see if you can gently pull the trigger straight back. A lighter touch should help.

Dillinger 08-18-2010 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you tried having someone load you a magazine and include some dummy or spent cartridges?? This is very helpful, especially with new shooters, but I haven't seen anyone that can't benefit from it since I learned about it. And yes, even me. :o

How much dry fire practice are you doing?

Are you more used to a tuned trigger?

A little more information might help. I don't know if you have a copy of this right handed target, but I take these, print them out, put a 3" shoot and see in the center and everyone loves them.

skullcrusher 08-18-2010 03:28 AM

CA has a great suggestion there. It may also be just learning the gun/trigger. The 'snap' of the trigger should be a surprise, and you might be expecting it. If possible, get some snap caps and have a friend load the gun for you so you don't know when the snap cap is coming. Have your friend watch your trigger pull and nothing but your trigger pull. The target is secondary until your friend tells you what he/she sees.

I dunno, just thinking out loud. :)

canebrake 08-18-2010 03:31 AM

Are you using a two hand grip?

utf59 08-18-2010 03:31 PM

There are a lot of good suggestions above. You already took care of the biggest step having someone else shoot it.

You said you never had this problem before. How does the grip size of this gun compare with your others? And does your friend who shot your new gun accurately have hands about the same size as yours? My wife has a pistol that she is deadly accurate with, but the thing is just too small for me. For me to get on target at all, I have to do so many contortions with my grip hand and trigger finger that it looks like I'm trying to throw gang signs while I'm shooting. Sometimes a gun just doesn't fit.

Try comparing your natural grip on the Taurus and some other guns that you know you're accurate with. See where your trigger finger naturally falls. If your finger falls in a different place on just that trigger, that may be your problem.

Best of luck.

NGIB 08-18-2010 03:55 PM

While I'm not a huge fan of lasers for actual shooting - they are great to spot problems while dry firing. Pick up a cheap pistol laser and practice until there's no movement during your trigger pull...

sebbie 08-18-2010 06:53 PM

may i suggest??

I had a British officer train me with the BAP, the Browning High Power to you. He had me dry fire it until my hand was numb. I played with it for weeks dry firing. I learned every error I was making with the trigger by watching the sight picture move when I pulled the trigger.

I would suggest using a "gun condom" (snap cap) for this to help protect the firing pin.

You guys will be kind and let me know if I say something stupid won't you. This is all kind a new to me.

NGIB 08-18-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebbie (Post 333954)
I had a British officer train me with the BAP, the Browning High Power to you. He had me dry fire it until my hand was numb. I played with it for weeks dry firing. I learned every error I was making with the trigger by watching the sight picture move when I pulled the trigger.

I would suggest using a "gun condom" (snap cap) for this to help protect the firing pin.

You guys will be kind and let me know if I say something stupid won't you. This is all kind a new to me.

You basically said the same thing I did. The laser makes it VERY easy to see the problems you create with your technique...

Jpyle 08-18-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 333963)
You basically said the same thing I did. The laser makes it VERY easy to see the problems you create with your technique...

+1 on the laser. I do exactly that, zero the laser to cowitness the iron sights, aim it at the center of the chart posted and see where the dot is after I pull the trigger, after checking and rechecking that the gun is unloaded of course. If it's outside the 10 ring you have a good idea of your problem.

Laser I use was purchased on e-bay for $25. Probably would not hold zero in real world use but it does what I need it to do.

http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!BfeuQ1wBWk~...bM6)g~~_35.JPG