Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Purchased a super, super cheap recession buster pistol (JCP .40)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Purchased a super, super cheap recession buster pistol (JCP .40)

Well, I went ahead a purchased a JCP .40 from a pawn shop today (Hi-Point firearm).

Normally, I don't tend to think about purchasing a Hi-Point weapon these days, but the price tag was really cheap. It was tagged at 80 dollars, but I talked the guy down to 50 bucks. I guess he really didn't care much, and I'm sure he still made a few bucks off of the deal.

I inspected the weapon very closely (as I do with all firearms purchases), and it seems to be in good order. I am going to give it a good cleaning, and I'm going to run some tests with it the next time I'm at the range.

This weapon is going to serve me as a field pistol. In other words, whenever I'm fishing of hiking, or whatever out in the wilds of Montana, I'm going to have this pistol strapped to my hip (If it runs for me that is). This is going to be my "utility" go-to weapon.

I'll be posting up the results if my range tests with this one soon, hopefully. Since this pistol is the center of huge debates all over, I'm going to try and review / test as many different facets of this gun as possible, and I'm going to put up all results good or bad.

Like I said, normally I wouldn't have given any thought to purchasing another Hi-Point, but getting a .40 S&W (10 round capacity) for 50 bucks is unheard of, and if the gun rund good for me, I'll chalk it up as a good deal.

Pictures, and initial reviews / thoughts to follow soon.

P.S. Worst case, if it doesn't work correctly for me, I'll just send it back to Hi-Point and let their excellent warranty do it's thing.

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 05-08-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #2

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I hope it doesn't jam when you need it,and I mean that straightforward not snide.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah. I'll be really running this thing through the ringer before I trust it. Also, this will be a secondary weapon for me in the outdoors. My primary weapon is my Mosin Nagant M91/30 (that thing is near bullet-proof).

One thing I've noticed about my JCP is that the prior owner already polished the feed ramp (lees work for me...lol). That's a good thing, and that is one positive towards enhancing the reliability of this pistol.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's some pictures of the ugly thing...lol.

I cleaned the whole thing inside and out, and it looks near new. I also performed tons of cycle test using the snap-caps. I cycled as fast as I manually could (to try and simulate a rapid fire string), and there was zero problems (I was honestly a little impressed). I then cycled the weapon from every different angle I could think of (upside down, tilted every which way, pointing up, down, left, right, etc, etc, etc...). Again, zero misfeeds.

So far the initial function check went well. If the actual firing phase goes just as well, I'll be convinced that I managed to get one of the good ones.

I do have to admit that it's not bad for 50 bucks.

P.S. I almost laugh every time I see the "battery pack" magazine...lol.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not much to lose for 50 dollars,if you do not like it,I am sure you could turn it over for a profit. I came real close to buying one a few months ago but found a Ruger p-90 for a good deal,so I went with that.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For $50 it's hard to go wrong and if it cycles well it will be a good field pistol. If not you should be able to double your money. Not a bad pick up (even though it ugly as a mud fence)

Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Supporting Member

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You did good SGT-MILLER. I'd pay 50 for any 40 S&W. I haven't figured out the "red" bullets though...

Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Those are the inert snap-caps. You've never seen them before???

P.S. I'm thinking of naming it "Bubba". Every time I look at that thing, I chuckle, then comment to myself how ugly it is...lol.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #9

$50.00 is a great find.

Semper Fi

Gun Control...sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze...

Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #10

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
You did good SGT-MILLER. I'd pay 50 for any 40 S&W. I haven't figured out the "red" bullets though...
Do your gun('s firing pin) a favor and get a 5 pack of these;

Name:  SNAP-400.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  1AtoZ.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  47.9 KB

As you can see I use mine frequently. Actually I have made a game of chambering one and while watching evening TV I practice my trigger break and sight picture by shooting actors on screen. The worse the show the more practice I get in. It's great therapy!

It's great to load them randomly when at the range to check for flinch! You'd be surprised what you will find.

Name:  atoz1.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  12.4 KB

MidwayUSA - A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy, Snap Cap 40 S&W Aluminum Package of 5
A-Zoom Snap Caps 5/PK - .40S&W - Top Gun Supply
A-Zoom 15114 A-Zoom Snap Caps 40 S&W 5Pk

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-10-2009 at 03:15 AM.