protection - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > protection

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11
Default well.

For me, I carry a 38 + p for defense in my ccw, but in your case I would go with the .32. It can still kill an attacker depending on shot placement and the distance they are from you.

__________________
hical is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Default

I'll carry nothing smaller than a 9mm for ccw.A 45 not for everyone !

__________________
stetson is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Default

If your going to carry anything less than a 38, you might as well get a bag or rocks and use that instead. I work in a trauma center and see gun-shots on a daily basis. I've seen many patients with 25 cal shots (to the head and chest) live.

Bozz

__________________
Bozz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
If your going to carry anything less than a 38, you might as well get a bag or rocks and use that instead. I work in a trauma center and see gun-shots on a daily basis. I've seen many patients with 25 cal shots (to the head and chest) live.

Bozz
While I think I understand the point you're trying to make it isn't suppose to be a lawful defenders intention to kill his attacker .

It is suppose to be to make him break of his attack on his victim , that to the best of my knowledge is the extent of the limit we are suppose to use deadly force .
__________________
BigO01 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
While I think I understand the point you're trying to make it isn't suppose to be a lawful defenders intention to kill his attacker .

It is suppose to be to make him break of his attack on his victim , that to the best of my knowledge is the extent of the limit we are suppose to use deadly force .

It's called "deadly force" for a reason. I'm only going to pull the trigger if I am in imminent fear of my life or my family's, there is no reasonable alternative and my warning has been ignored.
__________________
Bozz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
It's called "deadly force" for a reason. I'm only going to pull the trigger if I am in imminent fear of my life or my family's, there is no reasonable alternative and my warning has been ignored.


Understandable , but if you ever have to use it I wouldn't be expressing disappointment in the fact that the guy survives it to the cops or rejoice in his death in front of them .

It's a nasty world we live in with too many PC do gooders in positions of power and willing to toss us in jail for the dumbest of things .
__________________
BigO01 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #37
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford Texas
Posts: 2,865
Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Understandable , but if you ever have to use it I wouldn't be expressing disappointment in the fact that the guy survives it to the cops or rejoice in his death in front of them .

It's a nasty world we live in with too many PC do gooders in positions of power and willing to toss us in jail for the dumbest of things .
Well, that's because those PC do gooders are not subjected to the same circumstances we are. If they walked a mile in a "real" person's shoes, they would have a whole new philosophy. But, it ain't gonna happen...
__________________
*** Don't Mess With TEXAS ***
Μολὼν λάβε
Mark F is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
glockfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 157
Default

If I had to choose one of the 2 rounds provided by the OP, I would choose pepper spray :P

My wife wanted a small pistol like a .25, I said no way. She now carries a S&W .22Mag. Its small, lightweight, and plenty powerful for repelling an attacker. In her car is a my old Glock 19 9mm but thats just peace of mind for me. When I carry on rare, rare, rare occasions, I carry my new Glock 23 in .40.

__________________

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW
glockfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,198
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitya Karamazov View Post
I just want to point out the new Ruger .327 sp. revolver . Everything I have seen on this new cal. looks mighty impressive ! Plus it's a Ruger wheelgun , hard to beat for carry dependabilty far as I'm concerned ,, also Ruger is offering their own version of the Kel-tec type .380 , which of the two , I'd much rather trust my life to.
Now try not to laugh , or dismiss me as a complete lunatic , but I have , in the past carried a .32s&w revolver , sure it's only about a hunnerd 'n thirty year old cartridge but if you get the bullet where you want it gets the job done. {granted with no room to spare}
I gotta go with .357mag for true carry though . Complete confidence is great to go out the door with. Like the man says though , damn near any gun is the right gun , if you need it and you got it .
++1

But...if the only choices were .32 or .25..........I would definitely go with the .32.

I have one of the Kel-tecs, and have carried it quite a bit. But...it would not be my first choice to use if I had to. And that being said, if it were my only choice, I would use it without hesitation. Neither caliber is going to be a 'man-stopper', but with proper shot placement, it would definitely give the bad-buy something to think about.

Slo
__________________
slowryde45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SGT-MILLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,354
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

The points I would want to research in order to answer this question are:

How common is each caliber in my area?

What brand of pistols am I interested in?

Can I fire both calibers to get a good "feel" of each one before deciding?

Do I have time to weigh each caliber, or do I need the weapon fast?

If you can answer all of these questions you might have it narrowed down to a logical decision based on your personal circumstances.

Both rounds will perform, and perform well. It's up to your personal preference. You will not go wrong, regardless of which caliber you choose.

__________________
"TRAIN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, NOT WITH WHAT YOU WISH YOU HAVE."
SGT-MILLER is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
How to get Protection Permit in NY/NYC? kman13 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 9 10-11-2011 06:11 AM
Level IV protection for LEO Beez Firearm Accessories & Gear 8 04-09-2009 02:13 PM
Estate protection jwalkingstick General Handgun Discussion 5 11-17-2008 11:06 AM
Personal Protection right winger The Club House 11 09-03-2008 01:42 PM
Your Personal Protection BobBarker Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 16 05-06-2008 10:46 PM