Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Sykes View Post
for carring a gun on you , would a 32 cal. or a 25 cal.which would be the best to carry
Neither!

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #12

I would disagree with the 32 acp, I understand it is not popular in the US but at one time I did a tour and was issued with a 32 acp Walther PP and was quite happy with it. I didn't obviously have a choice I got issued with it.....
Now without going into the whys and wherefores I was present in a pub with three colleagues after work one evening having a quiet drink when three masked men burst in.

They almost immediately identified members of the group as police, the closest bastard fires two rounds from a GP35 at the nearest officer (who was 6 months to retirement and our officeman), as he went down but was able to draw his Walther and shot the assailant, and from the floor put the second man down. By now the pub is in uproar as it was packed.

Notwithstanding he made a good shot from the floor, and in great pain at the third man, who was making for the door, hit him square in the back. He crashed through the door and into the street (we later believed he was dragged into a waiting taxi).

I am not posting this as a bit of daring do to impress anyone, because those of you who have experienced these incidents understand it's sometimes difficult to recount, although retired cops are the worst for war stories.

The point of this being I have a grudging respect for the 32 acp when carried in a quality firearm, and in my view far superior to the 380 (low recoil, additional round, accurancy, penetration etc.).........

During the unpleasentness I was at the far end of the bar I got into cover had no opportunity to assist. But I didn't spill me pint!

Oh yes, the police officer man a good recovery and made retirement, still lives where he served, and if still with us no doubt bouncing his grandchildren on his knee.......

Old 04-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you want to see the actual effectiveness of the .32 acp round check out:
www.goldenloki.com

click on the Gelatin Tests

Last edited by billdeserthills; 04-27-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
if you want to see the actual effectiveness of the .32 acp round check out:
www.goldenloki.com

click on the Gelatin Tests
.....I've never been threatened or attcked by a lump of gelatin!......

Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
.....I've never been threatened or attcked by a lump of gelatin!......
You ain't never had cottage cheese and lime Jello then, have you....

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
You ain't never had cottage cheese and lime Jello then, have you....
Not lately.........mmmm

Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

both calibers are small for my liking. im still a year away from getting my ccw, but that doesnt stop me from carrying at home. at home i carry a sig p226, 9mm, and always keep my remington 870 somewhere close.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #18

Default 380 auto

If your're looking for a little more stopping power than the .32 try a .380 auto.
With hollow points the're not bad.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:34 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Met a guy the other day, he feels quite differently about hollowpoints. Says they are the liberal's tool and that they were invented to make cops feel safe,
as there is no chance of them penetrating a bulletproof vest. Further, he insists that full metal jacket bullets are the only way to go. I don't know if it can be confirmed but this dude says there has never been a single documented case of overpenetration leading to the death of an innocent bystander. Really makes me think about ditching the defensive ammo altogether, now if only someone made good FMJ rounds.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars01 View Post
If your're looking for a little more stopping power than the .32 try a .380 auto.
With hollow points the're not bad.
In my view the 7.65mm is a better round for a pocket pistol, better penetration, more accurate, far less recoil, and in most pocket pistols more rounds. Only my view 'stopping power' is a factor, but just a factor...