Protecting the crown of the barrel - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Protecting the crown of the barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

All barrels are crowned. Not all have a recessed crown. Most barrels have a radius crown and a few have a flat crown with a slight bevel that you almost can't see.

Jim...........

Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
I guess it's the definition of "crowned"--most barrels are rounded at the end--when I think of "crowned" I think of a recessed cut at the end that puts the end of the rifled portion of the barrel below the outside edge. I've owned many 1911s, never had one with what I would call a true "crowned" barrel, but I'm sure they are out there. This picture from a custom Baretta is what I'd call "crowned":
that's not a "custom" beretta...it's an Elite II..

here's mine...target crown 4.7" barrel. guess if it's good enough for $2500 nighthawks like someone mentioned, it's good enough for me.

Protecting the crown of the barrel - General Handgun Discussion

Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #13

Liked 107 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Okay, Missileman

As well noted by MasterPsmith and the Midwesterner, crowns appear on nearly all firearms. Crowning is simply turning the muzzle so it is square to the axis of the bore. The idea is to give the bullet an even 'departure' from the bore.

To add to the confusion, many barrels are crowned 'flat' and seem to be simply cut off square. Looking closely, one finds the flat part has been trimmed with a fine cutter, and or polished.

Older revolvers and rifles have a radius crown - noted by Master Smith. It is visible to the naked eye.

The treatment you describe is a 'recessed crown' (for obvious reasons) and the idea is this makes difficult the accidental blow to the actual crown, which can disrupt accuracy.

My apologies if I sounded snippy.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No offense taken--it's good to hear some advice and opinions from people who are smarter than me on this issue--that's why I log in to this forum. Thanks, and Happy Near Year!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

ALL barrels are crowned---PERIOD !!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #16

Location: Cubicle LVW-2a43E,Burrokratic republic of michigan, rock #3
Default patchworm

Ok, I know it might be difficult to understand but like the op said, water will wear down granite and a soft brass brush will wear down hardend steel with enough time. Use a bore guide when you gotta use a brass brush.

When you do not need a brass brush, use a patchworm. when you need something stronger then a patchworm, use a nylon brush (with a bore guide when possible).

Regards,
Cranky