Protecting the crown of the barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Protecting the crown of the barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Protecting the crown of the barrel

So, EVEN WATER ERODES A ROCK,,,,and I want to protect the crown of my handgun barrel. During cleaning, every time the bristle exits the end of the barrel, the rough crimped part of the bristle, drops down and slides across the most important part of the barrel,,the rifling at the crown.

What's a good solution or does anyone make something for this problem?

I know it's soft brass on hard steel but still, with alot of shooting and cleaning it seems it would add up to a problem.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's a reason that pistol barrels aren't crowned or otherwise milled--the effective accuracy at pistol ranges is much broader than any negative effect of wear on the muzzle would produce. In other words, you can probably never detect any negative effect of wear on a pistol barrel muzzle, so clean away and don't worry about it.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

"Pistol barrels are not crowned?"

Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
There's a reason that pistol barrels aren't crowned or otherwise milled--the effective accuracy at pistol ranges is much broader than any negative effect of wear on the muzzle would produce. In other words, you can probably never detect any negative effect of wear on a pistol barrel muzzle, so clean away and don't worry about it.
+1

your gonna rub the rifling smooth sending bullets downrange before you effect the muzzle of a typical off the shelf handgun barrel by cleaning it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2handguns View Post
Very rarely are pistol barrels crowned, I have only seen it on some Nighthawk Customs and so forth. Just keep using your brass brush, but stay away from the nylon ones. The nylon bristle are actually harder then the brass.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
they can be. most are not due to cost vs accuracy gain (which is nill for most off the shelf non-specialized handgun barrels) the prototype colt pythons were crowned but they looked funny so colt made the barrel muzzle end flat initially purely for asthetic reasons but discovered that it was more accurate that way. you can see the flat muzzle on one here:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-21-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Rossie M971 that has a crown, shot it a lot, cleaned it a lot and never had an issue. It's a lower end pistol, took it out of the safe to check, the crown looks like new. I haven't shot this pistol for a few years, now that's it's out it's going on the next range trip.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
So, EVEN WATER ERODES A ROCK,,,,and I want to protect the crown of my handgun barrel. During cleaning, every time the bristle exits the end of the barrel, the rough crimped part of the bristle, drops down and slides across the most important part of the barrel,,the rifling at the crown.

What's a good solution or does anyone make something for this problem?

I know it's soft brass on hard steel but still, with alot of shooting and cleaning it seems it would add up to a problem.
Your cleaning rod should have come with a rod guide to keep it centered in the bore, preventing the steel rod from making contact with the rifling. If not they are available at Brownells or MidwayUSA for $15-$50...

6mmBR.com Reviews of Reloading tools, Bipods Harris Pod-loc, Cleaning Supplies, Redding Wilson Dies, K&M Tools, Neck turning Tools, Shooting Accessories and supplies.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #9

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default At a casual glance...

One observes S&W revolver barrels are all crowned. The barrel on my Ruger Security Six here on the desk is crowned. Government Model barrels are crowned.

I don't know of any handguns with uncrowned barrels.

Protecting the crown when cleaning is fairly simple; barrels should be cleaned from the chamber end to the muzzle. Revolvers make it complicated, but that's the basic rule. If one must clean from the muzzle, simply be careful when inserting the brush or patch and avoid grinding the cleaning rod against the interior of the bore. The alignment tools made for this are valuable.

A good alternate is to use a bore snake, and begin from the breech end of the barrel.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
One observes S&W revolver barrels are all crowned. The barrel on my Ruger Security Six here on the desk is crowned. Government Model barrels are crowned.

I don't know of any handguns with uncrowned barrels.

Protecting the crown when cleaning is fairly simple; barrels should be cleaned from the chamber end to the muzzle. Revolvers make it complicated, but that's the basic rule. If one must clean from the muzzle, simply be careful when inserting the brush or patch and avoid grinding the cleaning rod against the interior of the bore. The alignment tools made for this are valuable.

A good alternate is to use a bore snake, and begin from the breech end of the barrel.
I guess it's the definition of "crowned"--most barrels are rounded at the end--when I think of "crowned" I think of a recessed cut at the end that puts the end of the rifled portion of the barrel below the outside edge. I've owned many 1911s, never had one with what I would call a true "crowned" barrel, but I'm sure they are out there. This picture from a custom Baretta is what I'd call "crowned":
elitecrown.jpg  

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"