Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Proper storage? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/proper-storage-62783/)

frank1019 04-18-2012 01:26 PM

Proper storage?
 
So I live in alaska where it's a little but more moist than other states and I keep a few of my pistols next to my bed near my window is this ok?

PlaysWithZombies 04-18-2012 01:46 PM

As long as you don't leave them there untouched for long periods, do your regular maintence, and make sure there's a good coat of oil i would think it would be fine.

mountainman13 04-18-2012 02:26 PM

Keep an eye on them. The guns will let you know if you need a dehumidifier.

silverado113 04-18-2012 02:52 PM

I like to clean my firearms once a month, I guess I could blame that on the Corps, but as others have said do your maintenance and keep your eye out for surface rust and you should be fine.

levelcross 04-18-2012 03:49 PM

Yep, keep up the maintenance and everything should be fine. If you don't have to clean them once a month you need to shoot more LOL.

I keep one in a tool box in my shop and have never had a problem, I just wipe it down every week and clean it every month.

silverado113 04-18-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levelcross (Post 774599)
Yep, keep up the maintenance and everything should be fine. If you don't have to clean them once a month you need to shoot more LOL.

I keep one in a tool box in my shop and have never had a problem, I just wipe it down every week and clean it every month.

I know a gun owner who cleans his every three months or so regardless of how much he shoots. I've tried to tell him the one time he's going to need it for SD it's gonna fail. Guess time will tell.

canebrake 04-18-2012 05:12 PM

I live in South Florida and have the same humidity issue. Virtually all my guns are kept in Bore Stores. NEVER in a foam lined gun case.

Even my EDC comes out of the leather holster, put into a Bore Store in Condition 1 and kept close to me at home.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...olster/EDC.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...Holster/BS.jpg

www.borestores.com

BORE STORES STORAGE SOCKS at Brownells

JohnJak 04-18-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank1019 (Post 774509)
So I live in alaska where it's a little but more moist than other states and I keep a few of my pistols next to my bed near my window is this ok?

Just keep them out of the hands of bears.

nickel1911 04-18-2012 10:53 PM

As everyone said, as long as you maintain your guns regularly, they should be fine. Look into some froglube. If I'm not mistaking, that's one of its attributes, to be able to ward away moisture.

nickel1911 04-18-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
I live in South Florida and have the same humidity issue. Virtually all my guns are kept in Bore Stores. NEVER in a foam lined gun case.

Even my EDC comes out of the leather holster, put into a Bore Store in Condition 1 and kept close to me at home.

www.borestores.com

BORE STORES STORAGE SOCKS at Brownells

The grips on your stainless 1911 look AWESOME!! They look com-for-table!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.