Project Pistol: Lorcin L32 Cheapo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Project Pistol: Lorcin L32 Cheapo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Project Pistol: Lorcin L32 Cheapo

For some reason my previous thread on this subject was deleted, and I'm not sure why.

This is to replace that thread. Basically I purchased a used Lorcin L32 (.32 Automatic) for very little money. I decided that I'm going to see what I can do to try and help this little gun work more smoothly. This brand of firearm has has tons of problems and has a very bad reputation with the firearms community due to reliability problems and reports of either excessive jamming or possible kabooms.

I already shot this gun once (100 rounds) and it functioned fine for 98 of those rounds. It was comfortable to hold and didn't recoil much (won't get much recoil out of a 32).

Results will vary with these things as good quality control was never a strong point with any of the makers of these saturday night specials (Davis, Bryco, Jennings, Lorcin, etc...). There are some real lemons floating around that no amount of tinkering will help. The biggest thing is to check for good structural condition first if you ever want to purchase one of these types of firearms for whatever reason.

This is a pic of where I'm at right now. I've done tons of polishing/smoothing around the barrel, magazine, firing pin channel, and around all of the contact surfaces between the slide and frame. The magazine had a surprising number of burrs that needed to be smoothed, and was extremely dirty. I also paid close attention to the fee ramp. I polished the feed ramp and removed all of the old paint that was on it. A painted feed ramp seems to be common on cheaper guns and I think that's one of the culprits of multiple jamming issues. Once I get a chance to get to the range again, I'll see if all of that made any difference.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll never understand why you go to all the trouble of doctoring those cheap junky guns. If a pistol don't function perfect out of box, something's wrong and is as far as the average shooter is going to get. The average buyer of 1 of these won't & can't do all that to ensure they'll shoot. That's why you're not representing them in the correct light of an out of box pistol. When people do range reports they don't go to all that trouble to make them shoot properly. If it malfunctions it's not to be trusted.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I'll never understand why you go to all the trouble of doctoring those cheap junky guns.
It's something I am having fun with right now.

Quote:
That's why you're not representing them in the correct light of an out of box pistol. When people do range reports they don't go to all that trouble to make them shoot properly. If it malfunctions it's not to be trusted.
This is not a range report. I'm just sharing information regarding what I'm doing in my own personal time with this little junker of a pistol, that's all. You are looking for something in my posts that simply isn't there.
I am not representing or mis-representing this pistol in any way. I am just stating what I am doing. Take that as you will.

I'll say it again. I am not trying to show this little Lorcin as some uber wonder pistol. I am just sharing information on what I'm doing to this little gun to fluff and buff it out a little. I like to tinker with some things and it's easy to tinker aournd with cheap firearms because if I mess up then the loss is very small.

This is the last post from me that will address this particular subject. I have stated the same on the other Lorcin thread that was deleted for whatever reason.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #4

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I'm Interested in what you have to say

I'd like to hear what you did to get the Lorcin to feed.

I have a L25 that could use some attention

I did see your post last night and replied to it and today it was gone.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 10-23-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #5

Liked 342 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Fluff and buff? I'm seeing a lot of sharp edges on that gun....

Old 10-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Think he means internal fluff and buff.
Ive been enjoying your threads SGT. I enjoy tinkering and trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
If you enjoy working on cheap firearms, trying to get the most out of 'em, by all means continue to do so, and I'll continue reading

Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Don't know why your thread was deleted?

Nothing wrong with taking an el cheapo gun and trying to work it into atleast something moderately functional. Have fun while doing it!

I wouldn't want to put the time or energy into one myself, nor would I want to give something like that my precious ammo I could shoot from one of my better guns.

Might want to put a disclaimer in these type threads for newbies reading.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I went ahead and used some flat black utility spray paint (real sandpapery feel) on the grips of the Lorcin. The regular plastic feel was too smooth and slippery, and I prefer more of a rough grip texture on my pistols. Didn't really change the function any, but it gives me a better grip.

I'm trying to find some cheap skateboard-type grip tape, because the slide tends to slip in my hands whenever I slingshot it when empty. When I get done, this will probably be the ugliest Lorcin on the planet, but hopefully it'll run slightly better than a standard jam-o-matic Lorcin.

I cleaned out the barrel (rifling). I found my old bore cleaner, and decided to give the barrel a deep clean. It's amazing how much more crud I was able to get out of the barrel. The tolerances between bullet/barrel are pretty loose, so the barrel gets pretty fouled up real easy.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Might want to put a disclaimer in these type threads for newbies reading.
As I said in the other one, a LARGE caveat or disclaimer needs to be included with this thread. A noob reading this sees an SM with over 2000 posts tweaking a Lorcin...

Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm kinda torn here.

I had a Davis .380 that ran fine, never a jam, kept it clean. I had to replace a firing pin, that was the extent of my problems.

Till it blew up. the slide snapped in two, I got lucky in that everything stayed on the frame. Barely.

So what I took from this was

1) Probably not designed for a high volume of range time.

2) The materials used, pot metal, pig iron, zinc alloy, whatever we call it, aren't really trustworthy. I think the quality varies from batch to batch.

3) If I had to use it for SD, odds are good that it would be held for evidence. I wouldn't feel too badly about my $90 pistol being out of reach for some length of time.

I think since this project is in the spirit of seeing how far he can go with this little turd of a gun, and since he makes no claims about turning it into his first line of defense, it might be interesting.

Noobs, don't make this your first purchase. Sgt has been around guns, and what he's attempting is not entry level stuff, he has experience. I've learned a thing or two from him.