price of 38 special ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > price of 38 special ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default price of 38 special ammo

I'm fairly well stocked with close to 1000 rounds of various loads but have continued to pick up a box here and there when I see it. Just out of curiousity I got on gunbroker to see what people were selling this stuff for and was completely blown away. i knew it was hard to find but good lord, the cheapest I could find was $.50/round and found one guy trying to sell 200 rounds for $160!!! Even without shipping that's $.80/round for WWB!!
I personally don't shoot a lot of 38 but this is my wife's primary round so when she comes along for an afternoon of target practice we can go thru quite a bit. I guess my stockpiling of 38 hasn't ended yet. I've had bullets on order for a couple months and once they come in I should be able to replenish my handloads.
I'm all for people making a profit, it's capitalism but that mark up is rediculous!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #2

I didn't realize that .38s were in short supply. I thought it was the .380 that couldn't be found!!

I have hundreds of .38s that I have had for years, I really don't shoot a lot of them. When I take my .357 out to the range a take along a box of .38 just for the heck of it. I reloaded fifty 38s this afternoon.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, down here the shelves are cleaned out of just about everything. Was talking to the guy at wal-mart a couple weeks ago and he said a lady came in an bought ALL 49 boxes of 22 lr. they had. Crazy I say!

My brother in law lives in Oklahoma and he's been reselling ammo he buys at wal-mart. He's been marking them up $5 - $10 a box and says folks won't quit calling.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

$5-10 bucks is a reasonable mark up but $160 for what you would pay $50-60 for is a little nuts. I've even thought of selling some ammo for a little extra cash but the thought quickly passes. Even if it takes me 10 years to shoot it(and it wont) it wont spoil and I have it.

There is a guy up here that only gets to see his kid 1 weekend a month. So one weekend they decide to go shooting, the boy is pumped. What boy wouldn't be? He gets to spend a day with his dad, outside, firing a weapon. When I was kid I lived for days like that. Anyway, he goes to pick up some ammo with his excited little boy and you guessed it, no ammo. Ever since the owner keeps a couple boxes set aside for this guy so if he wants to take his boy shooting he can.

That's another reason why the price gouging bothers me.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #5

I bought 100 rds of WWB for $31.00 at Wally World

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #6

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I know that I am short on money these days with my fixed medical retirement, but I would not even think of buying ammo at Wal Mart just to re-sell it at a large profit to my shooting brethren. Anyone , in my opinion, who would do this is nothing more than a SCALPER. We, as the shooting public, have enough people putting the screws to us. We don't need to do it to ourselves. Don't buy ammo from the scalpers. Ammo will become more available in the months to come, as will components for re-loading. Be patient.

Jim..............

Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_houle View Post
I bought 100 rds of WWB for $31.00 at Wally World
I think I paid about $37 for the same at Wally's in the PNW, I only buy them when they are priced faily (shoot them in a 357) and not a pistol I carry. Wally World seems like the best deal for most of my WWB ammo. I buy what they have available and most of the time (recently) what I need is available at a rair price.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

We went thru a couple of weeks where I could pick up just about all I needed, 9, 38, 357, 45 but now.....nothing! Not even 22lr. Been like that for the past two weeks.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

My local GS just got some 45s in. I bought a 250 case for $100. 40 cents a round is not bad when it's the only ammo in town.

But Friday was the last day to buy ammo till after the fourth of July. There is a ten day no sale period because so many azzholes shoot guns in the air on the fourth.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #10

I found some CCI Blazer Brass 38 special for 16.99 for 50 at a little hole in the boondocks. The local Dick's also had American Eagle 38 for 16.99 for 50. I'd have picked some up, but they also had 525 boxes of Remington Golden Bullet 22LR for 19.99 so I used up my limit of 3 boxes on that.

My experience is you need to hit Wally World whenever they put out inventory. For mine, it's between 6 and 7. I've also befriended the retired guy that works the counter and he'll actually give me the info when I call, unlike the younger guys who just say no.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446