Pretty new to guns... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Pretty new to guns...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
Learn to shoot and shoot well.

Make a decision about wheter or not you are willing to take
someone's life. If not, you don't need a ccw permit or someone
will take that gun away from you and kill you with it.

You already have a weapon a lot of us don't have anymore,
21 year old legs and feet. Use them instead of a gun when
you can.

Again, if you carry a gun know how and when to use it.

End of sermon.
this is pretty good advise and info. also if you are going to carry, then take time to think about this, if you carry, are you willing to pull it out of it's holster? are you willing to pull the trigger and take a life? remember, once the trigger is pulled, you can't recall the bullet, there are no do overs if you have changed your mind. can you live with taking a life, even a BG? it will change you. i saw this firsthand, my cousin was a deputy sheriff and had to shoot a man who advanced towards him and wouldn't put down a knife, and he kept trying to get him to drop it and he didn't. well he put two shots centermass, the man died on the way to the hospital. i saw the emotional change in him, he was not the same person afterwards and twenty years later i still see how that day changed him. these are things you have to consider before you decide to carry.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDirigible View Post
i'm liking what i've read about the cz 75, gonna have to keep it on the radar as well.

what are issues i might have that are different between say the cz75, the g19, and the sr9c? is it basically going to come down to how it feels in my hand, in which case i actually need to get my hands on one?
It's pretty much going to come down to what feels the best to you and fits the bill. Some of the differences amongst the three you mentioned are the CZ75 will be the heaviest since it has a metal frame, the Glock is going to be the lightest due to the polymer frame, and the Ruger SR9c is going to be in the middle. The Ruger and CZ have external thumb safties whereas the Glock has mostly internal safties and a trigger saftey. If you get a Generation4 Glock they you will have the option of the Multiple Backstrap System, which the Ruger has too. As far as sights go I personally like the 3 dot sight system the Ruger and CZ have as apposed to the Glocks one dot sight system.

One important thing to note is you might find that Pre-Generation 4 Glocks' magazine releases are too small.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #23

Well I'm still definitely up in the air if im actually gooing to carry, or if I just want something to take to the range that I can learn to use, and keep it around the house.

I definitely don't want to jump in before I know what I'm doing, which is definitely why I'm here.

I feel like I would certainly have the capacity to pull the trigger if I had to, but of course you never really know until you're faced with the decision. I'm sure if I ever had to use it on someone it'd definitely change me but again can't really know until it happens so I will not hold back because of that uncertainty.

I certainly wouldn't start carrying it until I felt I had a good handle on how to use it well, but it's definitely something I want to learn. When I get something it will stay at home and go out to the range for practice until I have a good understanding of it.

So... now that that's out of the way, I did get to sportsman's warehouse and looked at a few guns and talked to the guy there. Still want to go to an actual gun shop as well as check out some friends guns.

Anyway I actually got my hands on a sprinfield xd. Felt pretty solid to me, comfortable and whatnot. a little confused because it said smith and wesson on the slide, unless i'm just crazy. was definitely an xd though.
the guy there said he preferred a .40 though, how different will that be than a 9mm for me? i know 9 is the cheapest ammo, .40 is a little larger caliber isnt it?

still want to talk to some friends and try some of their guns but have to find em and figure out what they have and when I can try em out.

anyway, appreciate the input and the concerns, i'm not about to go out and buy a gun and start carrying it yet because I know i'm not ready.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The .40 is a larger caliber and it's more powerful. I still recommend starting out with a 9mm, because it will be easier to learn on, allow more range time, and is fairly cheaper.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Yes, the .40 is a larger caliber than the 9mm. I have pistols in 9mm, 40S&W & .45ACP. I'd recommend that if you want something larger than the 9, skip the .40 & go to .45. The recoil for the .40 isn't what I'd call more than the .45, but it's snappier. For me, it's just a tad slower getting back on target. Of course, as already stated, it's better you rent & shoot them to find out for yourself, if possible.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #26

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

An age-old question: If I can only buy 1 gun right now, do I buy the carry gun first or the range gun? Since many carry guns are not super fun to shoot at the range, I would suggest REALLY considering buying two guns in the same caliber as quickly as possible.

The Kahr CM9 is usually less than $450 and is a REALLY good carry pistol...very small!

Then, also buy a full-size 9mm in the lower price range. Keeping only one caliber will keep the costs down in ammo and cleaning supplies!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #27

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
An age-old question: If I can only buy 1 gun right now, do I buy the carry gun first or the range gun? Since many carry guns are not super fun to shoot at the range, I would suggest REALLY considering buying two guns in the same caliber as quickly as possible.

The Kahr CM9 is usually less than $450 and is a REALLY good carry pistol...very small!

Then, also buy a full-size 9mm in the lower price range. Keeping only one caliber will keep the costs down in ammo and cleaning supplies!
OR, get a reliable range gun first, and look at CC guns if and when

your range gun fails to satisfy you as a CC unit.

When I was getting started, my first pistol was a

22LR with a 6-3/4" bull barrel. But that's only what I did, not what to do.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #28

Personally I don't consider a Glock a great starter pistol, especially for EDC. Having that manuel safety is something i think all starters should have. It makes me nervous thinking that beginners are walking away locked and cocked, a trigger pull away... mistakes happen.

That's just me though. Glocks are the jam though!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
It makes me nervous

case and point. Cops are no exception

Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #30

EDC?

Seems like every one I see has the trigger safety, is that pretty much how they do it? Doesn't seem like that would change a whole lot. The Springfield also has a safety on the back of he grip, I guess so it will only go off if it's in your hand.