Pretty new to guns... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pretty new to guns...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Those are well-respected choices... Just be aware of the thickness difference between double-stacks and single stacks... For concealing, it makes more difference than you might think until you try it for awhile.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 10-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #12

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDirigible View Post
Kinda getting the gun bug, still a lot to learn but i'd like to get a conceal/carry license (just turned 21) and pretty decent handgun. Still open to my options, but I just want to throw out a few I've been looking at

-Ruger LCP 380
-Glock 19
-Ruger LC9
-S&W SD9 or SD40

I guess what I'm getting at is I can live with a price range up to $500 or so just to start out. I've shot some before, not a handgun though.

I guess of the ones mentioned, would any be better than another for someone starting out? I know this is all pretty basic but what kind of things should I be looking for?

I kind of think I won't start carrying all the time, just be nice to kind of have to shoot for fun or maybe carry in certain situations. So what would be best for me? Would I be best off just going to a gun shop/range local and trying some different guns out, is it really a lot of personal preference?

Anyway, hopefully I'll start learning pretty quick because I know these newbie forums posts can get annoying after a while. Just want to get something I'll be happy with the first time.
I agree with the rest of the replies in the thread. One thing I will say is that if your looking at a S&W instead of the SD series I would recommend a M&P9 or 40c which is the compact. They are great shooting weapons, reliable, under $500 and feel pretty good in your hand. One con is that they are a bit bigger than some other weapons you have on your list.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Glock 19 +1
Perfect for ccw, inexpensive ammo and uber reliable. Can't go wrong. Go try before you buy if you can, if not...at least get a feel for all of them. Can I also suggest a 1911? Just sayin ........

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my first suggestion would be to try out as many as you can and find one that fits you. a handgun, especially a carry gun is very personal. carry as large a caliber that you can hit with accurately with, remember a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a 44mag.! don't buy a pistol just because your best friend swears by it and says it's the best one he has ever had. because what is best for me or someone else, may not be the best choice for you. if you have a range that rents pistols to try out, then go and try out some. a lot of pistols in a model also come in different calibers, so if you find one that fits well in your hand, but are not comfortable with say the 45acp, then try the same pistol in 40s-w or 9mm. i have several different one that i carry, SA XDM40, Astra A100 in 9mm, Taurus Tracker in 44 magnum, AC 1911 in 45acp and a Bersa Thunder 380. depends on my mood!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #15

Liked 2558 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

Hi SteelDirigible,

Welcome to FTF.

I would say it depends upon the amount of

range time you want to enjoy with the gun.

IMO you should start out with a 9mm.

If you turn out to really need a CCW gun, maybe you should

consider getting a separate pistol for that purpose.

As to good starters, I'd find a good target 22LR,

like a Ruger, Buckmark, or Hi-Standard with a 6 or 7 inch

barrel. Great fun at the range, good beginner pistol, something

you'll always enjoy shooting, and fun for anyone you bring to the

range.

A used Beretta 92FS or CZ75 are great all-purpose 9mms in your

price range, and good for the range also,

which you can carry in a pinch.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

anything you choose, give lots of thought to the 9mm, reasons are, ammo is cheaper so it would be a good round to practice with and loaded with good JHP ammo is a good sd round. but whichever caliber you choose, do lots of practicing with it and practice on a regular basis.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #17

i'm liking what i've read about the cz 75, gonna have to keep it on the radar as well.

what are issues i might have that are different between say the cz75, the g19, and the sr9c? is it basically going to come down to how it feels in my hand, in which case i actually need to get my hands on one?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDirigible View Post
is it basically going to come down to how it feels in my hand, in which case i actually need to get my hands on one?
Without a doubt, i Carry a Glock 30 but i have bigger then average hands. ive heard alot of people say they hate glocks because of the thicker grip but for me, the LCP is to small to fit comfortably in my hands. it really comes down to what Caliber your comfortable shooting and what size gun feels good in your hands.

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
-Samuel Adams

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives."
-John Adams

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Learn to shoot and shoot well.

Make a decision about wheter or not you are willing to take
someone's life. If not, you don't need a ccw permit or someone
will take that gun away from you and kill you with it.

You already have a weapon a lot of us don't have anymore,
21 year old legs and feet. Use them instead of a gun when
you can.

Again, if you carry a gun know how and when to use it.

End of sermon.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 10-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #20

Liked 2558 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

I would have to agree what you choose is a matter of personal preference.

For example, I have a S&W 645 type 45ACP.

It has a decocker safety, which I prefer, and fits well in my hand.

Many have never used a decocker, and you might not like what I use, either.

I would try all three before you buy, if possible.