Pretty new to guns...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pretty new to guns...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pretty new to guns...

Kinda getting the gun bug, still a lot to learn but i'd like to get a conceal/carry license (just turned 21) and pretty decent handgun. Still open to my options, but I just want to throw out a few I've been looking at

-Ruger LCP 380
-Glock 19
-Ruger LC9
-S&W SD9 or SD40

I guess what I'm getting at is I can live with a price range up to $500 or so just to start out. I've shot some before, not a handgun though.

I guess of the ones mentioned, would any be better than another for someone starting out? I know this is all pretty basic but what kind of things should I be looking for?

I kind of think I won't start carrying all the time, just be nice to kind of have to shoot for fun or maybe carry in certain situations. So what would be best for me? Would I be best off just going to a gun shop/range local and trying some different guns out, is it really a lot of personal preference?

Anyway, hopefully I'll start learning pretty quick because I know these newbie forums posts can get annoying after a while. Just want to get something I'll be happy with the first time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

So you're looking at the striker fired "compact" size ones then? The Ruger SR9c might be another option to consider. It's quite affordable.

You probably want to go rent a handgun once or twice to see if you even like it. Shooting a handgun is a whole different animal from rifles and shotguns. If all you're interested in is target shooting, you may want to pick up a .22 cal. If you intend to use it in a defense role, as it sounds like you might, or just like the *bang* factor, 9mm recoils pretty mildly but tends to remain pretty effective as long as you score good hits. A good starting caliber. But like I said, trying some different rentals and calibers out at the range before you buy might be wise. I've found that pistols are much more about shooter/gun synergy than rifles. Knowing what you want in a pistol is going to be far more important than anything we can tell you here. Even just handling some in the gun shop can help, and that's free.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 10-18-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I agree that your should go to your local gun range and rent a few that you mentioned. Once you find the gun you like the problem becomes finding a holster you like. BUT! I am a firm believer of carry all the time. Whats the point of only sometimes?

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From the ones you've listed, if I was starting out, I'd go for the LC9 because, to me, it's the perfect size for carry... not too big, not too small... and is quite nice at the range too. I love the single-stack 9's... I carry a Kahr CW9 more than anything else 'cause it's so handy... pefect fit for me... and has proven 100% reliable. The LC9 is very very similar to it... pricewise too... and the majority of owners I've read on the net are happy with them so I support that choice. (But you might want to look at a CW9 too... The main difference with the Kahr CW9 is... it has no safety... which I prefer.)

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can get in to a new kahr cw9 sized pistol that also works very well for CC but if larger pistols are on your list for range use add a springfeild xd compact to the list. It does come with an extended mag that offers high cap and more room for your small finger and that means better control.
I love the smaller 9mm like kahr cw and cm9 has and even the KT pf-9 just not sure for a new shooter that they would not be the bast to fire many rounds accuratly and they can turn off some shooter do to recoil.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

-Ruger LCP 380 - Very small and easily concealed. You'll always have it with you, but you might second guess only having 6rds of .380 to defend your life.
I have one, but it's main purpose is a BUG (back up gun)

-Glock 19- solid performer and not too hard to conceal either. Some people don't like the grip, but if you shoot it enough you'll get use to it. It will fire and holds plenty of firepower for self defense.

-Ruger LC9- Had two firneds that had one of these. They had function problems so I'm not going to invest in one myself. Very concealable.

-S&W SD9 or SD40- I don't have experience with these, but they are along the same lines as many other polymers on the market, but made slightly cheaper.

Good luck in your pursuit! I would get to the range or gun shop and handle/shoot as many as you can before buying.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I suggest you go to some local shops and ranges to try different firearms out. You should look for what feels the best to you and pretty much fits the bill. Another firearm to look for would be the Ruger SR9c. I have one and it's my go to handgun for everything. I strongly recommend it, because it's priced very very reasonably, functions well, slim in the grip, and I prefer Ruger. I've had only one issue with mine, which was me taking it apart and then not knowing how to put it back together, but Ruger's customer service was very nice to me and fixed her up for free. Not to mention I've contacted their customer support about how if I needed a certain part that wasn't specifically listed for sale on their website how to get it, and they responded within minutes saying all I had to do was contact them again for the part I needed and they would ship it to me.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

The LCP and the Kel-tec P3AT are not fun to shoot. The ammo is more expensive than the 9mm Luger. You wont practice with them and gain the skills you need. The light single stack 9mm pistols are a better choice but still more recoil than the bigger 9mm pistols. The grips may be too small for you to shoot comfortably. The Glock 19 might be the best choice of the ones you have listed but look at the Glock 26 too. I found most of the Glocks are a little too big for my hands. I have the Glock 36 which is a single stack 45ACP Slimline Compact. The grip is a little smaller because of the single stack. The Ruger SR9c has a smaller grip and would be about the same size as the G26. Depending on where you live, it comes with 2-10 rnd mags or 1-10 rnd mag and 1- 17 rnd mag. It would be best if you could shoot some pistols first either through friends or rentals. Make sure the pistol points naturally for you. If you have to bend or twist your wrist to make it line up, dont buy it. A pistol should be an extension of your arm and point just as you would point your finger.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #9

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I will echo what JTJ said. Anything shooting .380 is not going to be a "fun gun" that you can plink with at the range. It's going to be uncomfortable and borderline painful to shoot.

I always try to tell people to try to stick with one purpose for every gun they get. My experience is there is not "perfect" gun for all purposes. There's always something better suited for each purpose.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #10

I'm really liking what i'm hearing about the SR9c. Just from the research I'm liking that or the glock 19. time to go out to the gun shop and get a feel for some of these...

I have a few friends that know more about this than I do that have guns etc so I'll have to see what they have that I can try out.