Presciption glasses and shooting - question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Presciption glasses and shooting - question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2463 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

I have trifocals. But you are supposed to focus on the front sight and the target and rear sight should be a little blurry. That is the proper technique for shooting iron sights!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #12
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

As for your vision - hell to get old. I would look at progressive lenses (bi/tri focals graduated across the lens). I'm near sighted, can't see a damn thing far, and got to the point I couldn't read the small print on bottles anymore either. Some people have a hard time with progressive lenses making the transition, but I took to them quick and love them. An eye doctor can explain it to you better. Sighting advice as others have noted.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Danf_fl;
The problem there is that you should be looking through the center of the lens at the front sight. With your head tilted downward on the rifle (or shotgun) stock shooting-specific eyeglasses (frames and prescription lenses) are designed to ride high on the face -- the bridge of the nose is farther down vs. standard frames where they are usually about level with the temples. See below. Regular frames/lenses only work with offhand pistol and even there bifocals are not ideal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ786SEM3Yg
True, The extra money spent to have my glasses modified so front sight is clear was well worth it. (Though a PITA for the eye doctor).

I do not seem to have any problems with scoped rifles, open sights, or shotgun. I bring the handgun up to my sight versus bringing my sight to the handgun.

I only tilt my head downward to verifiy target, then up to have sights centered. With no bifocal lines, the target does not move or "jump".

For driving, or other activities, I use my regular trifocals.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

Liked 180 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 53

At one time, I had a job involving bench work and computer usage. I got a pair of glasses that focused at arms length. They did well at work and are the preferred glasses for shooting, too. Yes, I am over 60.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
I wear glasses for distance, but only use them when driving. But I find that when I wear them now that I am just North of 50 I have difficulty focusing on close objects. When I want to check my phone I take them off to be able to see things clearly. So, my question is what should I do when shooting. I have been wearing the glasses so I can see the target accurately but I am not able to focus very well on the front sight. I can see it fine, but it is not sharp - does that matter. I tried shooting today with plain safety glasses instead. Doing that I can focus sharply on the sights but the target is kind of fuzzy. So, which option do you think is better?
Progressive HD lens.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

Liked 2128 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
I love the internet...

The correct answer is that the front sight is what you focus on. Shooting A Rifle: 101. Sorry. For the rest of y'all; Granpappy's Lesson One fer shootin'.

The target will be out-of-focus fuzzy. Young people can focus back and forth so quickly on both front sight and target that mentally it is as though they are simultaneously focusing on both. That slows down with age as does the ability to focus at both long and close distance in any case. You need to see the front sight clearly. The rear sight will appear ghostly (as in ghost ring sight) and the target will not be sharp. By the way, this is why optics are used more as one ages and for super-precision shooting all the time -- with them anyone can easily see both target and "sight" (dot or crosshairs) in sharp focus, maybe even magnified.

And before somebody twangs "but ya hasta know whats yer shooting at"... Yeah, that's right.
Excellent answer.

The human eye can only truely focus at one distance at a time and as we get older the ability to shift focal planes slows down, the medical term is "Presbyopia" (loosely translates to 'old vision').

Identify your target first, then focus on the front sight.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Excellent answer.

The human eye can only truely focus at one distance at a time and as we get older the ability to shift focal planes slows down, the medical term is "Presbyopia" (loosely translates to 'old vision').

Identify your target first, then focus on the front sight.
There you go sir, some of us are saying target acquire, then focus on front sight. Just like binoculars, we have to adjust focus at different lengths. This is what shooting instructors will tell you to do as a basic anyways. My right eye is starting to blur. Seems that things start to fall apart after 40. Well at least we are still alive and kicking!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1522 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 532

My vision is going downhill. I tried a scope and it does ok for game that is undisturbed but I like to hear a pack of hounds hot on a deer or rabbit. Scopes do not work so well when all you have is split second when the game crosses a logging path or a powerline. In the woods you have shoot into an opening. Once again the scope lets me down. Then I got a Mosin Nagant that forced me to shoot with open sights. Each time I did something to improve the accuracy of the 91/30 I took it out to see if the gun shoots any better. Next thing you know I was shooting stuff at longer distances than I had ever tried before with iron sights. I think some practice will do the trick for you.

In the event you end up at an opthamologist get a pair of safety glasses made for shooting. Some ranges insist that shooters use safety glasses despite the fact that a well made pair of eyeglasses are stronger than the cheapo plastic safety glasses they sell for $7.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #19

Liked 2128 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
There you go sir, some of us are saying target acquire, then focus on front sight. Just like binoculars, we have to adjust focus at different lengths. This is what shooting instructors will tell you to do as a basic anyways. My right eye is starting to blur. Seems that things start to fall apart after 40. Well at least we are still alive and kicking!
At service rifle and service pistol matches I defer to the wisdom of the shooters who have earned Distinguished Marksamnship badges for winning enough competitions to do so. All the top shooters told me teh same thing, "Make the front sight sharp and crisp in your vision throught the whole shot." "Old" retired guys still kick my butt at fleet matches, and regionals. I haven't won a rifle from the Secretary of the Navy yet, while some of those guys have a few.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #20

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yeah, one national competition I shot in the guy next to me was on the Coastie Rifle Team. He borrowed some team-mates rifle for this match. He'd said he never shot it before and still beat me. Not by much, but still... Actually, I think he medaled. The bastard. LOL