Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > practice with the ammo you carry for self defense??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

I've heard a lot of people say you should practice with the ammo you carry for self defense what's your thoughts on this ?

Personally I carry critical defense but I'm not going to take it out for targets... I think same gr and a few defense rnds is good to shoot

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I try to "rotate" my carry ammo.

That is when I shoot my carry stuff. Your weight and power factor the same thinking is okay, as long as, the bullets are the same.
Practice with hard ball and carry hollow points if you feel that hollow points feed as good as hard ball.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I shoot ball ammo and carry hp. I have run 40 or so rounds of carry ammo and a few hundred generic hps through my CCDW to know there is no issue.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

It is not about the ammo for practice/targets. It is about trigger time and having everything about your handgun being second nature. Sd shootings ussually happen within 7 yards. A 2" poi is not going to make a difference.
I shoot quite a bit of cast lead. It gives me lots of trigger time. I shoot 2 1911's, P6, P230, in 4 different calibers. Shooting each as much as possible makes everything automatic, no thought needed. Now switching to a revolver take some thought. But at the range it only takes a few rounds for the muscle memory to come back.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Pasquanel Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1947 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It is not about the ammo for practice/targets. It is about trigger time and having everything about your handgun being second nature. Sd shootings ussually happen within 7 yards. A 2" poi is not going to make a difference.
I shoot quite a bit of cast lead. It gives me lots of trigger time. I shoot 2 1911's, P6, P230, in 4 different calibers. Shooting each as much as possible makes everything automatic, no thought needed. Now switching to a revolver take some thought. But at the range it only takes a few rounds for the muscle memory to come back.
what he said ^^^^^^^
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

For me its simple, I ensure that every one of my guns feeds and cycles HP ammo. I dont shoot it often because its expensive, but I do run it on occasion to ensure feeding reliability. Otherwise, its ball ammo for the range which nowadays isnt very often due to ammo shortages.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I think it's good a good practice to shoot your SD ammo, not necessarily regularly but you should be at the very least familiar with how your firearm performs with that particular ammo. I make sure to fire the same exact ammo I load in my firearm when I carry, but I mostly shoot FMJ at the range.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Whenever I get a new carry gun I always run all kinds of ammo they usually have for that caliber because I want to know before hand if a particular brand will fail. Even with my hollow points I shoot at least two boxes just to be sure ya it hurts the wallet but better safe than sorry! Right now I use either hornady critical defense or customs or the Speer gold dot in my sr40c.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5506 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 4784

My carry amo is +P+. So I have to hand load to get the same velocity and recoil with FMJ bullets.

But I am a 100 percent advocate of training with what you carry (or equivalent)

Winston Churchill

Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #10

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

Practicing w/ your carry round is great in principle its certainly a good habit to be in and thats seems to make common sense.

it's also conventional wisdom and of course many police departments have accepted that principle.

But allow me to challenge this a little:

Ponder this:

When the adrenaline rush comes, even a guy who only practiced with 38 spc will rarely notice the extra recoil from .357 Mag.

But many folks practicing with .357 mag may develop a fear of firing the gun which will mess with their skillset.
Much better to practice with 38 spc, which is cheaper less punishing and will not teach bad habits of fearing the gun.

I am a 220 lbs weight lifter but even for me a full training day with .357 mag <hurts> and I will mix it up 2/3rds to 3/4 38spc , then finish with .357 mag for the "feel"

Another example is say an AR15.

The 5.56 has pretty mild recoil
the 223 even more so.

I practice with .223 for cost reasons but load up with 5.56 in my ready stick.

I dont think I will learn poor habits this way and will save alittle money in the proccess.

Also getting a 22LR upper is no unreasonable IMO either since the recoil is small even in the standard 5.56 so little difference in "feel" to throw u off.
a 22LR upper however will enable many to spend more rounds practicing their stance and aim, which is invaluable.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-02-2013 at 05:34 PM.