PPK/s .22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > PPK/s .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default PPK/s .22

Anyone have one or had the chance to shoot one? I don't own a .22 or a PPK, so two birds and all that. Watched a few videos, most just confirm that yes, it is cool. I was more curious about reliability though.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2692 Times on 1871 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Anyone have one or had the chance to shoot one? I don't own a .22 or a PPK, so two birds and all that. Watched a few videos, most just confirm that yes, it is cool. I was more curious about reliability though.
I've looked at one at the LGS. It had the heaviest, nastiest DA trigger pull of any new semiauto handgun I remember handling. It was so grotesque, the owner and I had a laugh over it. And I am not a trigger snob at all. Try it yourself first. Even better, compare it to the PPK based Bersa, made in Argentina. It is not quite as pretty, but is superb in every way that matters, including reliability.

The Walther brand has sadly declined over the last 50 some years. I don't want to steal your thread, just saying, the name no longer stands for excellence.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6021 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

the ppk in all calibers have always had shtty da triggers. that is nothing new.

one of the big fixes that bersa did was fix the crappy ppk trigger when they creeated the bersa thunder line.

ive got a bersa thunder 22 and a walther ppk in 22 both are pretty much 100% reliable for the first 250 rounds after that the dirt ends to get too much and rounds start having difficulty in extracting. neither one likes lower velocity rounds.

my walther is a manhurin walther which were the best quality walthers made. found it in a gunshop on a back shelf selling on consignment for cheap.

while the bersa thunder 22 has a much better da trigger they are tied for the sa trigger.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you both! I can probably live with the poor DA trigger, as I don't think I would shoot in DA much anyway. I also like that it comes with a threaded barrel. While I normally have no interest in those, I can see myself breaking down and actually purchasing a suppressor for a PPK.

I'll definitely take a look at the Bersa too though. I'm sure it comes with a much more attractive price tag than the PPK.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6021 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

if your going to run suppressed it actually helps with reliability due to increased backpressure.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

I have an older Manhurin PPK/s in .22 and one in .380.

With good ammo (high velocity), no problems.

The wife loves to shoot it (but I have to clean it).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 169

I have a pair of FEG SMC-22 pistols (Walther PPK copy), and the DA trigger is decent. They are fun little shooting pistols, BUT no threaded barrels that I know of. You'll see these occasionally on Gunbroker.
Brent

dscn1654jpg.jpg  

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

Liked 81 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have fired a few PPk or PPk/s type pistols. As mentioned, the trigger pull - especially double action - is horrendous, and the single action pull merely odious. In .22 long rifle caliber, the late Jeff Cooper once thought a PPk so chambered would be a good 'trail gun' - or, outdoor general purpose plinker. His thought was to simply ignore the DA function.

However, considering the existence of the Ruger SR 22 pistol, I find discussion of the PPk rather pointless. I saw one recently in a local gun shop; they are the 'right' size for such purpose. This even beats out my past nominee, the Star Model F.

If I have diverted the thread from the originator's intent, I do apologize.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
However, considering the existence of the Ruger SR 22 pistol, I find discussion of the PPk rather pointless. I saw one recently in a local gun shop; they are the 'right' size for such purpose. This even beats out my past nominee, the Star Model F.

If I have diverted the thread from the originator's intent, I do apologize.
No apology necessary sir! It was actually shooting a friends SR22 a couple weeks back that made me decide to finally consider a .22 of my own. There is really no practical reason I want the PPK (threaded barrel is my sad attempt at justifying the higher price tag). I just want one.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
No apology necessary sir! It was actually shooting a friends SR22 a couple weeks back that made me decide to finally consider a .22 of my own. There is really no practical reason I want the PPK (threaded barrel is my sad attempt at justifying the higher price tag). I just want one.
You can get the SR22 with a threaded barrel.