Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   PPK/s .22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/ppk-s-22-a-100591/)

otisthecat 11-21-2013 01:31 AM

PPK/s .22

Anyone have one or had the chance to shoot one? I don't own a .22 or a PPK, so two birds and all that. Watched a few videos, most just confirm that yes, it is cool. I was more curious about reliability though.

Mercator 11-21-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otisthecat (Post 1436871)
Anyone have one or had the chance to shoot one? I don't own a .22 or a PPK, so two birds and all that. Watched a few videos, most just confirm that yes, it is cool. I was more curious about reliability though.

I've looked at one at the LGS. It had the heaviest, nastiest DA trigger pull of any new semiauto handgun I remember handling. It was so grotesque, the owner and I had a laugh over it. And I am not a trigger snob at all. Try it yourself first. Even better, compare it to the PPK based Bersa, made in Argentina. It is not quite as pretty, but is superb in every way that matters, including reliability.

The Walther brand has sadly declined over the last 50 some years. I don't want to steal your thread, just saying, the name no longer stands for excellence.

JonM 11-21-2013 02:32 AM

the ppk in all calibers have always had shtty da triggers. that is nothing new.

one of the big fixes that bersa did was fix the crappy ppk trigger when they creeated the bersa thunder line.

ive got a bersa thunder 22 and a walther ppk in 22 both are pretty much 100% reliable for the first 250 rounds after that the dirt ends to get too much and rounds start having difficulty in extracting. neither one likes lower velocity rounds.

my walther is a manhurin walther which were the best quality walthers made. found it in a gunshop on a back shelf selling on consignment for cheap.

while the bersa thunder 22 has a much better da trigger they are tied for the sa trigger.

otisthecat 11-21-2013 02:53 AM

Thank you both! I can probably live with the poor DA trigger, as I don't think I would shoot in DA much anyway. I also like that it comes with a threaded barrel. While I normally have no interest in those, I can see myself breaking down and actually purchasing a suppressor for a PPK.

I'll definitely take a look at the Bersa too though. I'm sure it comes with a much more attractive price tag than the PPK.

JonM 11-21-2013 03:22 AM

if your going to run suppressed it actually helps with reliability due to increased backpressure.

danf_fl 11-21-2013 11:39 AM

I have an older Manhurin PPK/s in .22 and one in .380.

With good ammo (high velocity), no problems.

The wife loves to shoot it (but I have to clean it).

bbertram 11-21-2013 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a pair of FEG SMC-22 pistols (Walther PPK copy), and the DA trigger is decent. They are fun little shooting pistols, BUT no threaded barrels that I know of. You'll see these occasionally on Gunbroker.
Brent

OldManMontgomery 11-21-2013 08:10 PM

I have fired a few PPk or PPk/s type pistols. As mentioned, the trigger pull - especially double action - is horrendous, and the single action pull merely odious. In .22 long rifle caliber, the late Jeff Cooper once thought a PPk so chambered would be a good 'trail gun' - or, outdoor general purpose plinker. His thought was to simply ignore the DA function.

However, considering the existence of the Ruger SR 22 pistol, I find discussion of the PPk rather pointless. I saw one recently in a local gun shop; they are the 'right' size for such purpose. This even beats out my past nominee, the Star Model F.

If I have diverted the thread from the originator's intent, I do apologize.

otisthecat 11-22-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery (Post 1437430)
However, considering the existence of the Ruger SR 22 pistol, I find discussion of the PPk rather pointless. I saw one recently in a local gun shop; they are the 'right' size for such purpose. This even beats out my past nominee, the Star Model F.

If I have diverted the thread from the originator's intent, I do apologize.

No apology necessary sir! It was actually shooting a friends SR22 a couple weeks back that made me decide to finally consider a .22 of my own. There is really no practical reason I want the PPK (threaded barrel is my sad attempt at justifying the higher price tag). I just want one.

lastrebel70 11-22-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otisthecat (Post 1437599)
No apology necessary sir! It was actually shooting a friends SR22 a couple weeks back that made me decide to finally consider a .22 of my own. There is really no practical reason I want the PPK (threaded barrel is my sad attempt at justifying the higher price tag). I just want one.

You can get the SR22 with a threaded barrel.