powder burn in face!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

powder burn in face!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default powder burn in face!

today I was shooting my taurus 2 inch titanium 357 magnum and I was shooting some mild 38 special reloads out of it and then I started firing some 357 magnum reloads out of it and on about the 14th round I felt a stinging on my face. I stopped shooting and discoverd I had a tiny flake size cut on my face.I opened my revolver and noticed a little bit of unburned powder on the cylinder.
I inspected the revolver for cracks and any signs of pressure damage and didnt find any .Looked at the spent casings for any cracks or signs of high pressure on the head stamp and didnt find any. I fired some 38 specials out of it again and didnt have any problems. So I guess what Im wondering is what do guys think happened? I was shooting 158 jacketed bullets with 14 grains of alliant 2400 behind it using cci small pistol primers. Ive fired a couple hundred of these same loads and never had this happen. In my lee manual 14 grains of alliant 2400 is the starting charge for this load. Ive been reloading pistol ammo for about 7 yrs and never had this happen before. It couldnt have been a double charge cause there would have been damage to me and the gun and I always check the oal of all my rounds. Im thinking maybe its not a good idea to shoot 357 magnum rounds out of a 2 inch pistol.

Last edited by tiberius10721; 11-29-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

May be a dumb question, but was your cylinder tight? My .357 service six did that to me once and I noticed my ejector rod had worked loose a little and my cylinder was scewed just a touch. Tightened it and no more problems. 357 loads will knock it loose from time to time and I just twist it tight while loading.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
May be a dumb question, but was your cylinder tight? My .357 service six did that to me once and I noticed my ejector rod had worked loose a little and my cylinder was scewed just a touch. Tightened it and no more problems. 357 loads will knock it loose from time to time and I just twist it tight while loading.
hot damn franchise thats exactly what it was I just checked my ejector rod and it was loose as hell! I fire this little gun a lot every time I go to the range most of the rounds i fire out of it are 38 specials But lateley Ive been firing 357 mags out of it and thats must have been what worked the ejector rod loose.Thanks a lot! Much appreciated! This is funny I thought I knew a lot about revolvers but I guess I didnt. Until right now I had never even taken apart the cylinder on any of my revolvers except my black powder pistol. Its not that big of a deal.I almost lost a small little spring though. Ill know better next time. I take my 1911 all the way apart all the time I dont know why I was afraid of taking they cylinder apart on my taurus.

Last edited by tiberius10721; 11-29-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No problem my friend. I never shought about it till I started getting hot slivers of lead hitting me in the cheek. I was worried as hell at first. I thought I had just thrown down $350 on a defective gun. I was relieved as hell when that fixed it. Very glad I could help. Don't be a stranger. Its fun to talk guns!!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #5

I bought this titanium 2 inch 357 magnum two years ago for 300 dollars and until today I had never had a problem with it. I had heard about these screws coming loose before but for some reason I had never bothered checking them on my own pistols. Im glad this happened to me today instead of happening to my wife because she would have freaked out! You know how women are about their faces.:

Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know what you mean. My service six does it but my security six hasn't yet. I've thought about putting some loctight on it but I may need to take the whole thing down at some point. So, I just keep an eye on it. I've looked into a little 3" 5 shot Rossi .38 for my wife. The Rugers are a little large for her and she can't handle an automatic. I think .38's, even soft loads would be okay for home defense if I'm not around. I never had to worry about such things when I was single. She really can't hit anything anyway. I'm hoping the sound would be enough to scare 'em off more than counting on her putting a bad guy down.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3452 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 373

2400 is a pretty slow burning powder. A Magnum primer may help. The last time I experimented w/2400, I noticed a lot of unburned powder residue. I don't use it or 4227 for handgun loads an more.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Some of the magnum weapons I've owned over the years have had screws loosen, that's why I really liked Ruger because they used "Nyloc" screws but for others what might help is after cleaning any oil from threads, use some "Thread-loc".