Powder burn ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Powder burn ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default Powder burn ?

Wouldn't say I'm new to guns but don't really understand some things. Why is it that in a 357 magnum snubbie the recoil isn't much more than a .38? I believe I heard something about the powder not having long enough to explode or something. So would the recoil of a .357 magnum in a five inch barrel be alot more than the snubbie?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8712 Times on 3771 Posts
Likes Given: 1340

Recoil is governed by the weight and speed of the bullet, balanced by the weight of the firearm.

Many snubbies do not have enuff barrel- gasses are still expanding when bullets leave barrel. However, there are loads designed just for snubbies- faster burning powders, lighter bullets. That is where the 125 and 110 bullets came from- originally 357 was 158 gr.

I have some .357 loads you do NOT want to shoot in a snubby- trust me.

Try this- when you load the cylinder, load 2 357 rounds in separated position, fill in the holes with .38 Special. Spin cylinder, and without looking, close it. Now shoot. I think you WILL be able to pick out the magnums.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21348 Times on 12115 Posts
Likes Given: 53218

powders are sorted by burn rate, hence faster burning vs. slower burning. modern smokeless powder doesn't explode, it burns creating pessure that forces the bullet out the barrel of a firearm. slower powders generally need longer barrels to complete the burn inside the barrel to optimize muzzle velocity. faster burning powders are made for shorter barrels to acheive those same results. as a general rule, faster powders can generate the pressure much quicker, resulting in a sharper felt recoil many times.

but there are other factor to consider as well. bullet weight and weight of the firearm all figure into how felt recoil is percieved. so it;s not just one thing but a mixture of many different variables that affect how a firearm recoils when fired. with pistols, the size of the pistol along with it's grip can affect how well a person can control it's recoil. having the right grips on a pistol can change how well you control recoil and how well you hand absorbs and controls it.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1876 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Recoil is determined by the total 'mass' expelled from the muzzle, and 'velocity' of the mass.
There are two parts to this equation. One is what most people only consider, this is the projectile, mass and velocity.
The second, and most overlooked part, is referred to by many as the 'rocket effect'. This is the mass and velocity of the propellant (gas) expelled. This is why a muzzle brake changes the 'felt' recoil of a firearm , it bleeds off part of this 'gas' at right angles and lessens the 'rocket effect'.
I don't know which revolvers you are referring to as I have shot MANY handguns with short bbls and the 357's have A LOT more recoil than the 38's do!!! So I disagree that the 357's recoil only slightly more than the 38's.
The 'gases' leave the bbl at velocities which are much greater than the projectiles (5000 to 6000 fps) and the mass of the gas is equal to the powder charge weight. So you can see why any cartridge which uses more propellant will have a sharper (higher recoil velocity) recoil.
More propellant equals higher projectile velocity AND a greater 'rocket effect' thus greater actual and felt recoil!
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-28-2013 at 03:52 PM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Thanks fellas helped me out alot

Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
Recoil is determined by the total 'mass' expelled from the muzzle, and 'velocity' of the mass.
There are two parts to this equation. One is what most people only consider, this is the projectile, mass and velocity.
The second, and most overlooked part, is referred to by many as the 'rocket effect'. This is the mass and velocity of the propellant (gas) expelled. This is why a muzzle brake changes the 'felt' recoil of a firearm , it bleeds off part of this 'gas' at right angles and lessens the 'rocket effect'.
I don't know which revolvers you are referring to as I have shot MANY handguns with short bbls and the 357's have A LOT more recoil than the 38's do!!! So I disagree that the 357's recoil only slightly more than the 38's.
The 'gases' leave the bbl at velocities which are much greater than the projectiles (5000 to 6000 fps) and the mass of the gas is equal to the powder charge weight. So you can see why any cartridge which uses more propellant will have a sharper (higher recoil velocity) recoil.
More propellant equals higher projectile velocity AND a greater 'rocket effect' thus greater actual and felt recoil!
Hope this helped,
Jim
And actually the snub I have that I don't feel much of a difference on is a .357 taurus model 605. Shoot it and see or since you have shot MANY handguns I'm sure you've tried it my apologies. I haven't tried this in any other snubbie when I shoot with long barrel there is a very significant difference.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
And actually the snub I have that I don't feel much of a difference on is a .357 taurus model 605. Shoot it and see or since you have shot MANY handguns I'm sure you've tried it my apologies. I haven't tried this in any other snubbie when I shoot with long barrel there is a very significant difference.
My son got one of the super light 2 inch 357's and you can not hold it on target with full house 357 loads. Every time you shoot it, no matter how you grip it, it will twist about 30 to 45 degrees in your hand and you have to totally re grip it to fire a follow-up shot. 38 +p, no problem. Why they even make this light of a gun in 357 is beyond me???
Now my 2 1/4 inch Ruger SP101 will handle the full house 357's, with a little training and practice you can shoot it quite well, but to me there is still a BIG difference in the felt recoil between the 357's and the 38's even in this 'heavy' snubby!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-28-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think the key word here is 'feel'. Some are more sensitive/aware of recoil than others.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .357 Recoil

I have a .357,2", poly frame. I usually mix the .357 and .38spl and as someone else posted, you know when you hit the .357. In fact if someone else is shooting my gun, I can tell when they hit the .357 load.