Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Potential tragedy.. :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
So, is it your judgement that the seller should somehow evaluate every potential buyer before closing the deal? If so, just what criteria would you suggest he or she use? Would it be fair to make a snap judgement about a buyer? The only thing the buyer should ever have to provide is the necesary legal paperwork.

I believe that, once the buyer has met the legal requirement to buy, it is all the buyers responsibility, not the sellers. Otherwise, every FFL would have his or her own method of making the determination, and would then be responsible for the firearm after the sell. That would be an awful system.
It does not happen often, but I agree with CF on this.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Well, this guy used some judgement:

Aurora, Colorado (CNN) -- Colorado massacre suspect James Holmes applied to join a gun range in June, but the range's operator said Sunday that he was disturbed by the "weird and bizarre" message on Holmes' answering machine.
"It was weird," said Glenn Rotkovich, managing partner of the Lead Valley Range in Byers, Colorado. "I didn't know what kind of message was left by this idiot. We need to know if he's an idiot before we let him have access to our range."
Rotkovich told CNN that Holmes sent in an online application on June 25. Rotkovich said he called the number Holmes left on the form, only to get a message he said was largely unintelligible.
He said the voice was "guttural, freakish, maybe drunk. Just weird and bizarre -- a deep, guttural, forced voice."
Rotkovich said Holmes didn't call him back. He left another message, and said he was again disturbed by the voice on the machine. "It bothered me so much I told my staff, 'If this guy shows up, he gets nothing until I meet him,' " Rotkovich said.

I don't think using judgment to see if someone knows what they're with a firearm before you give it to them is such a bad idea. Not that it would've made a difference in Aurora, but generally speaking, I think being responsible for your actions is good thing.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #23
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

An automobile is often sold without determining the operators qualifications. Although a license (and insurance) is required in all states, nothing prevents an idiot from operating a vehicle in violations of the regulation, or operating a vehicle irresponsibly.

I understand that I live in a dangerous world. I live my life knowing this fact. It's a dangerous world, but exciting, rewarding and fun. It's also tragic, heartbreaking and sometimes hard to understand. How much less enjoyable would it be if everthing required a government review.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

My thoughts exactly KG. I see evidence EVERY DAY of people owning and driving cars with absolutely no understanding of HOW to drive a car. Many tiimes more people are killed and maimed each year by untrained drivers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7821 Times on 4513 Posts
Likes Given: 10063

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I've never been asked if I knew how to operate a gun I've purchased.
I've never been asked either. Could have something to do with the fact that I will ask them to demonstrate the functions of a gun I am not familiar with at the same time as when I ask to handle it and loooong before I have purchased it. They never have a chance to ask me first.

That aside, I think I would take extra care when in that shop. I would definitely visit there more often though because who knows what valuable relics might turn up in a store like that! Ignorance of the storekeeper works in my favor as I see it.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19988 Times on 11362 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

people who are not familiar with firearms, or use them in an unsafe manner is a fact of life. there are many who buy many different things, they simply do not have full understanding of, such as cars, motorcycles, boats and other such items. many times, as long as they have the required amount of money, it's theirs. a purchaser of a firearm, if new to them or unfamiliar with them, should be suggested or recommended they take a firearms safety course, but IMO, no it should not be mandatory, as that would be infringement upon the 2nd admendment to me.

my father had a saying, "if all else fails, read the instructions" funny how appropriate that is!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL

Yes, basically true. I find this better than having some in the government determining if a person should be 'allowed' a gun.

I believe the statistics would show our method works best for maintaining / retaining our right to bear arms. I don't think I can point to ANY country that has a better model.

I surely don't want to see any new laws. are you ready to pay for, take the time for, or accept the restricitons of a program to ensure that YOU are knowledgable. You may say that you know, but any idiot could say that they know.
How very true!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
I've never been asked if I knew how to operate a gun I've purchased.
Never have I

Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976
Loaded, hammer back and ready to go. I don't know who is dumber the customer or shop owner...can't believe he asked him to return to the store WITH the gun. So many things could have gone wrong. Glad I am not one of his customers.
Yea , I can't belive they had them bring it back either. I won't be shopping there anymore!!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Sounds to me like the STORE owner could use some training.
I agree, thought that he was smarter than that