Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Potential tragedy.. :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Potential tragedy.. :/

So , while at our local pawn shop I over heard a call from a person who had just bought a .357 revolver from them.
Apparently the new owner of the gun was wondering how to uncock the gun...!!!
He had it loaded and the hammer was back ready to strike a live round!!!
They informed him on the phone about the procedure to make the hammer return to its at rest position. I was shocked at what I was hearing!! The new owner was wondering if it could go off like that!!! Omg... I couldn't belive my ears!!! Apparently the guy was scared to do what they told him to do on the phone, and was bringing it back to them for them to show him how!!!!
A freakin .357 Magnum being transported with a line round in it and the hammer back!!! WTF??? I can't belive that they sold him that gun when apparently the guy had no idea about any kind of gun whatsoever!!
Can you imagine what a mess this could have been???
I left the shop, and called the next day about it. They told me that he made it there and they showed him how to do it and sent him on his way...:/
I would have had his money ready when he got there and taken that gun back , and told them not to come back to my shop!!!
Any idiot can buy a deadly weapon.. I feel slightly less safe ....
I carry every day, and am a responsible gun owner.. Only takes one mistake to change a life...
Still in shock!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

unfortunately there is no law against being stupid.

the rest of us just pay for it by giving up freedom

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In my opinion, the new gun owner made the mistake of not asking the pawn shop how to operate the revolver PRIOR to buying it.

Whenever I visit a LGS and I ask to look at a gun I have never played with before, I ask the person helping me to demonstrate it's functions first before even handling it.

If I were in the pawn shop's position, I would have told him to leave the revolver in a safe place at home and to gcome back to the pawn shop so that I can safely demonstrate how to uncock a similar revolver being sold in my shop that is unloaded.

Or you know, just watch a YouTube video...

People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Training! Training! Training!

The pawn shop owner missed a chance to earn a couple of bucks training the buyer.
All it takes is a couple of questions when selling the firearm.

Even on transfers, I ask the buyer if they are familiar with the action.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

orangello Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5203

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada2d View Post
Any idiot can buy a deadly weapon.. I feel slightly less safe ...!
Yes, basically true. I find this better than having some in the government determining if a person should be 'allowed' a gun.

I believe the statistics would show our method works best for maintaining / retaining our right to bear arms. I don't think I can point to ANY country that has a better model.

I surely don't want to see any new laws. are you ready to pay for, take the time for, or accept the restricitons of a program to ensure that YOU are knowledgable. You may say that you know, but any idiot could say that they know.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had a similar incident. I was in my gun shop recently and two men had just bought a pistol and the background check had just cleared. I sort of smiled and asked what they had just bought.

"I don't know," one told me, "its a nine milimeter."

Nine milimeter is a magic word on the streets of Memphis.

Bob Wright

Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've never been asked if I knew how to operate a gun I've purchased.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Loaded, hammer back and ready to go. I don't know who is dumber the customer or shop owner...can't believe he asked him to return to the store WITH the gun. So many things could have gone wrong. Glad I am not one of his customers.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I went to a friend of a friend's house a while back and saw a shotgun sitting in the corner of the room. Asked him if it was ok if I looked at it and he said yes. Before I even touched it I asked if it was loaded and he looked right at me and said that it wasn't. I grabbed it, pointed it in a safe direction and pumped it to double check. Sure enough a shell came flying out!!! I racked it till it was empty, set it back down in the corner and then I left. I always try my best to avoid stupid people, but it's impossible to avoid them all the time.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The gun owner needs training PRIOR to loading a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir View Post
In my opinion, the new gun owner made the mistake of not asking the pawn shop how to operate the revolver PRIOR to buying it.

Whenever I visit a LGS and I ask to look at a gun I have never played with before, I ask the person helping me to demonstrate it's functions first before even handling it.

If I were in the pawn shop's position, I would have told him to leave the revolver in a safe place at home and to gcome back to the pawn shop so that I can safely demonstrate how to uncock a similar revolver being sold in my shop that is unloaded.

Or you know, just watch a YouTube video...