Posting Gun Pictures Online - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Posting Gun Pictures Online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I agree with this. It's one thing to post an heirloom or a highly sought after rarity, or even just a run of the mill tool that you're particularly fond of.

But listing everything in your safe, in photos or even text? No thanks. Just like y'all don't know the color of every pair of drawers I own, you'll also never know every gun I have owned, will own, or currently own. In my opinion, that's just not public business, for MANY reasons.

I posted sometime last year about how easy it is to track someone down via seemingly harmless and ubiquitous information, and gave an example. Long story short, in the particular instance that I used as an example, I was cut off by a soccer mom with an attitude while driving (DWB: driving while bitchy). within minutes of digging, starting with nothing but the stickers on her back window which gave her kid's names and the dance school they go to, along with the fact that she was leaving a local middle school, I was able to find out where they live, they had no dog, likely no alarm system, the parents' occupation, and that they and the younger child were going out of town for the weekend, and leaving their 15 year old daughter at home alone.

Now, that was merely an exercise in academics, conducted by a half educated redneck with no ill intent to prove a point. It's also how I tracked down my ex wife when she kidnapped my son.

Imagine someone doing this WITH ill intent. NOW stop and consider how much information you post about your possessions online.

My opinion, it's no different than stacking Christmas trash by the curb. No need to let the whole world know what's inside your house.
Great point. Forums and Facebook were my daughter's greatest friends during her divorce and child support arguments. If it's something you don't want a complete stranger to know, don't put it online.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #12

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Great point. Forums and Facebook were my daughter's greatest friends during her divorce and child support arguments. If it's something you don't want a complete stranger to know, don't put it online.
Facebook is exactly what I used during my divorce. I often joke that my ex wife was the most valuable member of my legal team.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #13

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Yep, and that's mostly why I came to that decision. Even though only my Facebook friends had "permission" to view the pictures in that album the mantra that if you post it online, consider it public domain certainly applies.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #14
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Default Posting Gun Pictures Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Yep, and that's mostly why I came to that decision. Even though only my Facebook friends had "permission" to view the pictures in that album the mantra that if you post it online, consider it public domain certainly applies.

And in the case of what happened to me, (in Football Media)even your friends can become enemies....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 01-26-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1754 Times on 975 Posts
Likes Given: 5315

I have one rule:

After I post a picture of the gun, I sell it.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Facebook is exactly what I used during my divorce. I often joke that my ex wife was the most valuable member of my legal team.
The first thing my divorce lawyer told me to do was delete all my social media accounts, Facebook in particular. Even though I was able to recover it afterwards, all I had to say was I deleted it so there was nothing my ex or her lawyer could do with it.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 AM   #17

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

I do not and will not post anything on facebook . On here is a bit different , I do not have my location on my profile , I make sure all my pics have no location attached to them and I know very few people on here personally.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely watch out for geotagging on any photos you take and post online

Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Most really love to hang it out there don't they

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET