Post Office Carry at 11pm with 24 hr box access. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Post Office Carry at 11pm with 24 hr box access.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Which brings up a curious extension of the original question: If I drive thru the mail drop and don't park or get out, is it illegal for me to be carrying in my car while driving through the post office parking lot?
That is a good question. A darn good question. The Supremes view your car as an extension of your home. If you are legally qualified to own a gun you can legally carry in your home. On the other hand, many states do make a distinction between the the brick and mortar home and the four wheel "home" when it comes to firearms. Then comes the omniscient postal service that says no way, no how if it's on their property. I don't know the answer, but it's a helluva question.

Did you know that the post office vehicle is the only vehicle that doesn't have to yield to stopped school buses?

Last edited by Doc3402; 12-25-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #42
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
What are you doing to get stopped and searched in the first place? This isn't communist Russia, there needs to be a reason.......

If you are concerned leave your damn gun at home/ no need to go thru life so fearful Brother!
Not fearful. Not planning to leave the gun at home either. I don't give the police any reason to pull me over. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Point is: The case law mentioned above leads to potential consequences that are ridiculous. Even if a person in that scenario could argue effectively against the situation, he would HAVE TO argue the matter in court. Meanwhile, his reputation is damaged regardless of outcome. Potential loss of employment. All because of an ill-conceived legal decision.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To me, breaking the law on federal property is just not worth it, and if my post office was in a questionable neighborhood, I think I would just make sure to go there during hours when the risk is minimal.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
A Federal Judge in Colorado in July ruled it OK to have to have a gun in the parking lot,but it's still illegal to carry inside the building.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/you-can-now-bear-arms-in-a-post-office-parking-lot-20130711Your best bet is to ask an attorney,or your state's attorney general instead of asking for legal advice on the internet.

And I also understand that only FFLs CAN ship handguns via USPS.
My attorney said before this case was decided that a parking lot "should" be ok. He said there is a clause he would take advantage of in the public areas if he was called on to defend someone busted for carrying, however added that he wouldn't bet his freedom on it.