Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Post Office Carry at 11pm with 24 hr box access. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/post-office-carry-11pm-24-hr-box-access-101892/)

stonesaver 12-22-2013 08:41 PM

Post Office Carry at 11pm with 24 hr box access.

So I know the Post Office has the "Gun Free" paper posted on the bulletin board. So hypothetically you go into a post office,(the office lines are locked up),and it has 24 hour box access. Now the post office is in a local area and street that isn't exactly the most "crime free" area. Do you carry concealed, walk in, get your key out, get your mail, and walk back to your vehicle knowing that you could be arrested for carrying on P O prperty, or do you take the chance on the criminals all knowing that you will not be armed going into get your mail at 11pm?

Of course only politically correct answers please... :)

eatmydust 12-22-2013 08:48 PM

"I have no idea what your talking about!"
"Oh, I guess I forgot, I keep it with me all the time."
"No sir, that's my wallet in my pocket."
"Well, I didn't want to leave it in the car, since carjackings happen regularly around here!"

I think you get my gist!

Rick1967 12-22-2013 09:29 PM

I do not carry into a post office. I mentioned it to a friend of mine that is a sheriff's deputy. I was showing him a under seat safe I had mounted in my truck. I told him it was for when I go to the post office. He thought it was foolish for me to leave it in the car. But I figure he wont be the one arresting me for it.

Mercator 12-22-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonesaver (Post 1464975)
So I know the Post Office has the "Gun Free" paper posted on the bulletin board. So hypothetically you go into a post office,(the office lines are locked up),and it has 24 hour box access. Now the post office is in a local area and street that isn't exactly the most "crime free" area. Do you carry concealed, walk in, get your key out, get your mail, and walk back to your vehicle knowing that you could be arrested for carrying on P O prperty, or do you take the chance on the criminals all knowing that you will not be armed going into get your mail at 11pm?

Of course only politically correct answers please... :)

You know the PC answer, why bother asking. It is a federal property, and the owner said no. But if need be, ever, you know the saying - better be judged by 12...

BillM 12-22-2013 11:19 PM

Kind of on topic---my local post office used to have the "no gun" stickers several places,
as well as a 8 1/2 x 11 no weapons notice in at least two places. They have all been gone
for a good six months. The only mention of weapons is the "what you can't ship" poster on
a bulletin board by the counter.

RevJammer 12-22-2013 11:35 PM

I am in and out of several post offices around my area. Most of them have the "No Gun" sign plastered everywhere. However, one of the facilities has it on the door entering the actual "store" area and does NOT have it on the general entrance door to get to the P.O. Boxes.

I thought this was interesting since they are all federally controlled facilities. And to answer the question, No, I honestly don't carry inside because the P.O.'s I go to are generally in decent areas. If I thought it was prudent to do so in a given situation, I would carry.

RJ

John_Deer 12-22-2013 11:50 PM

Criminals can't bring a gun the post office. They have a no guns allowed sign up. Right? :rolleyes:

ScottA 12-23-2013 12:04 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about.

c3shooter 12-23-2013 12:16 AM

Just so you guys understand- unlike private property that under STATE laws must post given signage, a Post Office is a Federal facility, they do NOT have to post any signs, and carrying there is ILLEGAL under most circumstances.

And if I WERE contemplating breaking a Federal law, I damn sure would not be posting said intent on an open forum.

SSGSF 12-23-2013 12:55 AM

Who is going to know if you go into the post office for two mins, with a gun . If it's concealed no one will ever know.