Pondering possibly ditching the .45
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pondering possibly ditching the .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default Pondering possibly ditching the .45

Just looking for some thoughts and not trying to start a caliber war.

Without getting into platform nonsense (so thus, I will not talk about particular firearms that I am currently shooting or considering) I am seriously considering ditching the .45 ACP.

I've always had a healthy respect for the caliber and I enjoy shooting it. I think a lot of issues people have with its recoil is overblown. I taught my oldest son to shoot with a .45 ACP handgun when he was 13. I think it's a manageable and respectable caliber.

Problem is, I'm having issues finding range ammo these days. Don't say anything about reloading. For a variety of reasons that is not an option. Cheap decent ammo is hard to come by and has been for awhile. Even in the panic days my odds of finding 9mm were about the same. 9mm has always been cheaper and it's getting hard to ignore the evidence that SD rounds are fairly close in performance to .45. Combine that with the cost and the fact that your average 9mm has a 3rd to double the capacity of most .45's and I'm really wondering if it's worth it anymore.

Availability, cost, and negligible performance between self defense rounds are what I'm considering. A lot of it is cost though. My ideal spend point for 9mm is about $15 for a box of 50. I can find it cheaper than that all day long, but within a dollar of that is easy. For .45 I don't blink at $20 for a box of 50, and I'd been firing Tula and Monarch for $15 to $17 a box. Well, the cheap crap has disappeared and even the lower end stuff has vanished. I'm having a hard time justifying $23 to $27 a box. I tend to pick up a few rounds of this or that every week and am working on rebuilding my modest stockpile. I seriously considered dropping $100 today for 250 rds. but I am also trying to save up for some additional firearms and not blow my cash on large ammo purchases. Might be worth it, but eventually I'll be in this boat again.

I'm just not sure .45 is worth the cost anymore.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
9mm has always been cheaper and it's getting hard to ignore the evidence that SD rounds are fairly close in performance to .45. Combine that with the cost and the fact that your average 9mm has a 3rd to double the capacity of most .45's and I'm really wondering if it's worth it anymore.
Sounds like you've answered your own question.
My opinion's biased tho, I've always leaned towards 9mm. Hope you find your answer, I know what it feels like to be torn on a question that's been asked millions of times before.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 2448 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Take some of your ammo budget and save up and find a 9mm you like and buy it. Shelf the .45 for a while ammo prices haven't fully stabilized yet.

I buy .45 less frequently than I buy 9mm, but do pick some up from time to time, and put it in the stockpile. Then when I have the itch to shoot .45, I can.

I bought a .40 and a .357 Sig barrel, because in my area, .45 and 9mm were practically unobtainable but I could find .40 and .357 Sig on the shelves. Once things began to improve I was finding .40 for less than 9 or .45.

Having some variety can be useful.
St8LineGunsmith Likes This 
Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I have decided to keep the handgun for now. I love it and have a feeling I might regret it later. Don't want to find myself in that position again.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 594 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default As pointed out

Get yourself a fun 9mm. I sort of did the same thing...reduced my multi-calibers down so I have 9mm and .223 for the rifle. Other calibers get pricey.

I can tell you this. Some awesome ammo in 45. for about .31 a round

http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1850.htm

Free shipping on first order

I bought their reman 9mm and .223 - AMAZING prices and amazing ammo. They make NEW also so this is no mom and pop show. Ever 50 comes in a box and tray - no loose cartridges....I was impressed.
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" Mark Twain

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

You sound like you might be in a place where reloading might well be worth your consideration.
I certainly wouldn't be a big fan of .45 acp if all I had was factory ammo.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

To each, their own.

I have other calibers besides the good ol' .45 that I enjoy shooting.
But, I have used the .45 for competition, self-defense, home defense, and other things.

I look at the cost of ammo as a by product of what I like to do. If my car required use of premium gas due to the high performance aspects, then so be it.
The high cost of .45 ammo has reduced my practicing with the .45, but I still practice. It's just that the .22 helps to keep the basics fresh.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
sandog Likes This 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2791 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 797

the more calibers you have the better the chances of finding something to shoot. I almost bought a 40 when that was all you could find on the shelf but I had a good stock of 9 and 45. If I had been low I would have bought the 40 just so I could get ammo.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #9

Liked 458 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Over the last couple years 9mm has become my favorite round,not only can you get any platform in 9mm but is is cheap and fun to shoot,and another great thing is there are plenty of self defense rounds to choose from.
The biggest choice for me to switch is the ease of teaching my younger shooters with the 9mm I have confidence that my wife and two kids are very comfortable with the 9mm over the 45acp, I still own both and my family can shoot both but the 9mm is just a more forgiving round in the hands of smaller framed shooters and we are able to train with it a lot more veal cause of thesis and price.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

high end defensive 9mm comes close the 45acpfmj in effectiveness.

when you compare 45acp high end defensive to the same in 9mm it is no contest

9mm ~.55
45acp ~.80

purely from a defensive pov 45 is definately the better round as it will make a bigger permanent channel and allow the goblin to leak faster.

that being said, my pref is for 45acp but i carry a 9mm M9 beretta 20+1 most of the time i can carry a larger pistol.

with the change in the attitude of goblins lately with multiple attackers becoming the norm and mayors and governors in states like missouri promoting and encouraging lawless bahaviour, ive opted for sheer firepower.

i just see a nation that promotes vile thuggish mob/gang behaviour and its spreading from the white house down.

so i understand the desire for a larger capacity easier to shoot handgun and caliber you can find ammo for.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This