Polishing 1911 slide
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Polishing 1911 slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Polishing 1911 slide

What would be the best way to get the blue off my 1911 slide without messing it up

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Liked 1980 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

I don't have the answer to your your question, but I'd like to ask you why? Do you want a different finish? Is it worn out? If you just want to change it, why not buy another slide and keep the original just in case you change your mind, or want to sell it later?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

There are bluing and rust removers on the market. Bluing is a form of oxide.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #4

Would you recomend anything?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The best way to remove a finish would probably be to use a cotton buffing wheel on a bench grinder with varying grits of polishing compound.

Unless you are comfortable with something like that and have, or are willing to obtain the tools, I would let a professional handle that job.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Just get a bottle of Birchwood Casey blue remover-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #7

I know it sounds crazy but clear vinegar works if you let it soak for 3hrs or so. obviously disassemble completely submerge the slide for 3 hrs or so. take some flitz polish or mothers aluminum polish on an sos pad and just use some elbow grease it will come off. I've done this before to remove rust and reblued a .22 before that had sat outside in a shed I got a long time ago. If I were going to do this to a 1911 they are more valuable I would probably just get another barrel as well. check out youtube there are a lot of people that do this....

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEagle13 View Post
What would be the best way to get the blue off my 1911 slide without messing it up
How To Remove Bluing From Steel

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #9

Default removel of finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEagle13 View Post
Hey there buddy, if you want to remove the blueing of a slide you need to use rust and blueing remover. There are many different types out there but the ones i have used are Birchwood Casey, and also brownells have a page dedicated to this in their catalog. But it basically is an easy job to do.
But i have to warn you when you do this you will loose money on the gun becuase you have messed with the value i would advise you to buy a slide unfinished and do what you want with that, that way you can save your value of the gun incase you want to sell it later on down the line.
If you remove the blueing from your gun you need to buy some oooo steel wool and ooo steel wool. Take it and use a littel gun oil and use the ooo first untill it shines all over and then use the oooo with a little gun oil and go over it again it wont hurt the slide but it has to be buffed to a shine to get the blueing or the nickel plating or what ever you use to stick and look good.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I am just curious why you want to remove the blue. I spend a lot of effort trying to keep the finish good.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan