Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Point Shooting: Yes? No?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don't make it a habit agreeing with gorknoids, $hit I rarely understand what he's saying, but this time he has a point (no pun intended) in that we should use this style of shooting in our practice sessions.

Hold your water, before you go off on another middle finger rant. What I'm talking about is quicker rounds on target using the same grip. Actually the only change to the draw and fire response is the timing of the first trigger pull.

Let's face it, if you ever have a PD experience, 90% of the time it will run similar to this;
It will be a surprise.
In your rush to draw, you will more than likely be defending off a punch or knife attack with your weak-side arm.
Your first shot will be a short distance from the holster. This is dictated by the threat you are facing and the gut pump of adrenaline your brain just released.
At this close range, hopefully you will have blown the BG's heart out with the first shot. You will take the second. It all happens too quickly. (Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.)

Do you practice this shot?

Let's say the 90% is way off, drop it in half to 45%, $hit take another 20% off bringing it down to 25%.

At this level you would experience this shot one out of four times.

Do you practice this shot?

Point shooting, this is what I call this style and it doesn’t refer to using alternate trigger fingers or any change in grip. It's not sight shooting; the extra time required to sight in this scenario will get you killed!

Do you practice this shot?........You should!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-07-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #12

I agree Cane, I always thought that point shooting was merely pointing at the target with your weapon and firing at it without using your sights. I had been told that your arm would naturally point at the target for you without extending your finger. It sounds like a good way to lose some control with your weapon and/or get a slide bite.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If the "zombie" is almost upon you, point shooting can be very effective.

If you have enough distance to properly get, at least a rough sight picture, then do so.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #14

Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

From Cooper’s book, Fighting Handguns published in 1958.
Let’s hear about point shooting in Cooper's own words....
....."It's an axiom that hitting your target is your main concern, and the best way to hit is to use your sights, but circumstances do arise in which the need for speed is so great, and the range so short, that you must hit by pointing alone, without seeing your gun at all.
...Pointer fire is not as hard to learn as sighting, once you realize it's range limitations. using the 1911 auto-pistol I have found that I can teach the average infantryman to stay on a silhouette at 10 yards--using pointer fire in two-shot bursts--more easily that I can get him into that 25 yard bullseye using slow fire and sights.
Of course this sort of shooting is strictly a way of obtaining body hits at essentially indoor ranges (30 feet and under)…
...But up close pointer fire can be murderously effective, and its mastery is often the difference between life and death." (pg 97-98)

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great excerpt, Rattler. That said, after reading the post where you said you agreed with me on something, I washed and I washed, but I still feel dirty.....
For anyone who hasn't tried it, take a known-empty handgun and try it. Draw and quickly point the weapon at a spot in the room, and then check the sight alignment. It's probably going to be aimed dead-on. One thing I found yesterday while shooting from behind a panel was that a good bit of the time, the shots weren't only good to lethal, but follow-up shots were hitting tight on the first. It friggin' works.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Christ on a Crutch, here we go again....

*hunkers down behind desk*

JD
That is funny... ready, aim, fire....no just fire! someone is on a crutch or taking cover behind a desk

Old 02-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
That is funny... ready, aim, fire....no just fire! someone is on a crutch or taking cover behind a desk
I would NEVER take a shot at Jesus. Unless that was the name of the perp, of course.
You should try it. Standing up in your lane and making confetti is one thing, but winning is another. I don't worry about B-3 targets invading my home and permitting me 30 seconds before I shoot. I worry about the crackhead who decides he wants a sandwich kicking in my garage door and bumbling into my living room with a Glock.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Say what you will but if you don't take the time to aquire the target you are truly spraying and praying. In a urban setting or even in a rual home a none targeted round has the chance to take an inocent life. The mili seconds it takes for someone that practices to aquire a target is a fact. The action hero persona that shoots from the hip is also is a fact. The results are so simple, it is I aimed and fired or I sprayed and prayed. I didn't make up the term "spray and pray" it's a common term and more comon because we can carry more rounds in in most states. On so many threads it has been expressed you have to be able to hit what you aim at. Every missed round has the potenial to injure or kill an inconent person. So ever pull of a trigger requires the gun owner to be responsible for the round. That is how I see it as regular guy, a guy that was a LEO for three years and a guy that was in the USMC for eight years.

I don't know of a instructor that doesn't educate the guy or gal to aquire the target before pulling the trigger.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I would NEVER take a shot at Jesus. Unless that was the name of the perp, of course.
You should try it. Standing up in your lane and making confetti is one thing, but winning is another. I don't worry about B-3 targets invading my home and permitting me 30 seconds before I shoot. I worry about the crackhead who decides he wants a sandwich kicking in my garage door and bumbling into my living room with a Glock.
I expect that crack head "kicking in my garage door and bumbling" in your house doesn't know your house as well as you do and you should have time to aquire a traget before pulling the trigger.

I've shot a lot more than B-3 targets to come to my conclusion. I have to admit I do like to stand in my lane and make confetti, it relaxes me.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Say what you will but if you don't take the time to aquire the target you are truly spraying and praying. In a urban setting or even in a rual home a none targeted round has the chance to take an inocent life. The mili seconds it takes for someone that practices to aquire a target is a fact. The action hero persona that shoots from the hip is also is a fact. The results are so simple, it is I aimed and fired or I sprayed and prayed. I didn't make up the term "spray and pray" it's a common term and more comon because we can carry more rounds in in most states. On so many threads it has been expressed you have to be able to hit what you aim at. Every missed round has the potenial to injure or kill an inconent person. So ever pull of a trigger requires the gun owner to be responsible for the round. That is how I see it as regular guy, a guy that was a LEO for three years and a guy that was in the USMC for eight years.

I don't know of a instructor that doesn't educate the guy or gal to aquire the target before pulling the trigger.
Didn't read post # 14 huh?

- orangello

Closed Thread