Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Point Shooting: Yes? No?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Point Shooting: Yes? No?

It was todays festivity at the boom room, and it is surprisingly accurate at 21'. It is also very quick. Just looking for thoughts, tips, pros, or cons.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Christ on a Crutch, here we go again....

*hunkers down behind desk*

JD

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Okay, okay.....I'll be in the catacombs all weekend looking at sh....sh.....stuff.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What's this? According to Mr. Search, I've opened up virgin terrain here. (Actually, I recall heated discussion on this topic last Fall, but the bloodhound ain't findin' it.)
We need a reprise. The weather is miserable, everybody's cranky..... Let's hear about point shooting.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8646 Times on 3745 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Point shooting? Well, was trying for a 9, but got snakeyes instead....

Yeah, have practiced for close quarters in-a-hurry work- two handed stance, look at the target, pull trigger. Works. Not neat, but works (if botha yer arms are about the same length!)

Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
What's this? According to Mr. Search, I've opened up virgin terrain here. (Actually, I recall heated discussion on this topic last Fall, but the bloodhound ain't findin' it.)
We need a reprise. The weather is miserable, everybody's cranky..... Let's hear about point shooting.
You don't remember this thread.... LOL

I have some thoughts on this whole "Point Shooting" and who does it better than anyone, but you guys will have to wait until I gets me some food in my stomach.

JD

Old 02-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks JD. That was it, but I have to say that nothing in that thread dealt with point shooting, just a bad grip option and some ensuing outrage over the blasphemous suggestion that the 1911 isn't God's preferred sidearm.
It is. I acknowledge that, and have a voodoo doll in the image of my brother, as he got our Dad's Colt, and I wound up with his beautiful yet useless Wilmot Damascus-barreled side-by-side wallhanger. Engraving like you dream about, and worth maybe $200. Can't even shoot it.
Tim also got his rifles and pretty much every other functioning firearm. If he wasn't my brother, I'd call him a bastard.
I'm shooting with a normal grip, but instead of aiming the pistol, I'm using good ol' proprioception to line up the web of my thumb with the crook of my index finger, and I'm effectively taking the gun out of the aiming equation. All it does is make a noise and soon thereafter, a hole where I expected to see one, give or take 5". That seems like a lot, but that hole is showing up at least a second earlier than if I was using the sights, so in the real world I'd have round 3 or 4 out of the tube, on target, before the first aimed one would hit.
It is most decidedly not "Spray & Pray", and if a noob like me can do it after a little dry-fire in the house, there has to be something to it. None of my golf clubs have sights, after all.

Wait...that probably wasn't the best analogy.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #8

The 1911 has a design flaw? Is that why it has been used by police and military for over a century, still used today; and been proven in at least 5 major conflicts? Is that why the M9 is going the way of the dodo only after roughly 20 years of service. I think that someone is not looking at the whole story.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here we go again (Banging head on keyboard)

Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #10

Ok, ok, I'll drop it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Closed Thread