Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Point Shooting: Yes? No? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/point-shooting-yes-no-10653/)

gorknoids 02-06-2009 08:52 PM

Point Shooting: Yes? No?

It was todays festivity at the boom room, and it is surprisingly accurate at 21'. It is also very quick. Just looking for thoughts, tips, pros, or cons.

Dillinger 02-06-2009 09:00 PM

Christ on a Crutch, here we go again....:rolleyes:

*hunkers down behind desk*

JD

gorknoids 02-06-2009 09:33 PM

Okay, okay.....I'll be in the catacombs all weekend looking at sh....sh.....stuff.

gorknoids 02-06-2009 09:57 PM

What's this? According to Mr. Search, I've opened up virgin terrain here. (Actually, I recall heated discussion on this topic last Fall, but the bloodhound ain't findin' it.)
We need a reprise. The weather is miserable, everybody's cranky..... Let's hear about point shooting.

c3shooter 02-06-2009 11:41 PM

Point shooting? Well, was trying for a 9, but got snakeyes instead....:p

Yeah, have practiced for close quarters in-a-hurry work- two handed stance, look at the target, pull trigger. Works. Not neat, but works (if botha yer arms are about the same length!)

Dillinger 02-07-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 68920)
What's this? According to Mr. Search, I've opened up virgin terrain here. (Actually, I recall heated discussion on this topic last Fall, but the bloodhound ain't findin' it.)
We need a reprise. The weather is miserable, everybody's cranky..... Let's hear about point shooting.

You don't remember this thread.... LOL

I have some thoughts on this whole "Point Shooting" and who does it better than anyone, but you guys will have to wait until I gets me some food in my stomach. :(

JD

gorknoids 02-07-2009 03:39 AM

Thanks JD. That was it, but I have to say that nothing in that thread dealt with point shooting, just a bad grip option and some ensuing outrage over the blasphemous suggestion that the 1911 isn't God's preferred sidearm. :D
It is. I acknowledge that, and have a voodoo doll in the image of my brother, as he got our Dad's Colt, and I wound up with his beautiful yet useless Wilmot Damascus-barreled side-by-side wallhanger. Engraving like you dream about, and worth maybe $200. Can't even shoot it.
Tim also got his rifles and pretty much every other functioning firearm. If he wasn't my brother, I'd call him a bastard.
I'm shooting with a normal grip, but instead of aiming the pistol, I'm using good ol' proprioception to line up the web of my thumb with the crook of my index finger, and I'm effectively taking the gun out of the aiming equation. All it does is make a noise and soon thereafter, a hole where I expected to see one, give or take 5". That seems like a lot, but that hole is showing up at least a second earlier than if I was using the sights, so in the real world I'd have round 3 or 4 out of the tube, on target, before the first aimed one would hit.
It is most decidedly not "Spray & Pray", and if a noob like me can do it after a little dry-fire in the house, there has to be something to it. None of my golf clubs have sights, after all.

Wait...that probably wasn't the best analogy.

McNabb11b 02-07-2009 04:19 AM

The 1911 has a design flaw? Is that why it has been used by police and military for over a century, still used today; and been proven in at least 5 major conflicts? Is that why the M9 is going the way of the dodo only after roughly 20 years of service. I think that someone is not looking at the whole story.

gorknoids 02-07-2009 04:25 AM

Here we go again (Banging head on keyboard) :D

McNabb11b 02-07-2009 04:37 AM

Ok, ok, I'll drop it. :D