POI correction...your fixes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > POI correction...your fixes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 115 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default POI correction...your fixes?

having built a house 3 years ago in a rural area and creating a safe firing 25 yard range (for handguns)...I began shooting with some degree of regularity and have purchased some new firearms with which to shoot.

Now, I cant say how many rounds I have put down range in the past couple of years...but I suspect it is greater than a few thousand. I have a tendancy to shoot left of POA...regularly so I believe it to be my trigger pull moving the muzzle to the left. I did have, and still on occasion drop the muzzle in anticipation of the round going off, but I am aware of it and with concentration I can correct that.

Shooting left is still a problem for me...I am sure many right handed shooters have or better yet had the same issue...what are your tips to correct it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #2

Liked 226 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Yep if shooting away from POA consistently it should be trigger pull related. Might be as simple as to much finger on the trigger.. Now if your shooting left with DA, SA and stricker fired handguns check to see if your useing your dominant eye. Say your right handed ,may be your left eyed??? Guess you know how to check that?

You might want to shoot fewer handguns in a section and focus on working out the issues with the mildest one of the bunch or work with a .22lr pistol for a while. Get your trigger pull down and group size tight. Guess you also have some real good muffs too. Shooting some of the small untra light types can kill group size and placement pretty quickly. A all metal full size 9mm with run of the mill fmj or full sized revolver in 38sp shooting wadcutters as about as mild as centerfire gets. But that might be the place to start with centerfire ammo

I have a fair amount of firearms but do not tend to shoot a bunch at a time. As good as I think I am with my CC pistol after shooting some of my handguns it takes a couple mags to get my trigger finger back in tune with my CC pistol trigger pull and is allways the only one that gets shot ever time and last.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

May be jerking the trigger instead of squeezing

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I find dry fire practice to be really useful in terms of a cheap way to practice anytime. More practice with the trigger will improve your shooting. I also bought a Laserlyte practice laser that sends out a laser pulse whenever the trigger is pulled. You can dry fire with that against a light-colored back drop and see where your shot would hit. I think it is a great, inexpensive tool.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

This is not 100% for all shooters but might be worth a try-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
May be jerking the trigger instead of squeezing
Good point. What I do in cases like that is exhale completely, hold, then lightly squeeze trigger. Works everytime.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

With an EMPTY and SAFE gun, dry firing a lot is a good way to see what a good sight picture and trigger control should be. You will be totally relaxed as you know the gun is not going to fire.

To see what's happening when you actually pull the trigger, play this little game. With a revolver, stagger some live rounds with some spent rounds, then spin the cylinder. Now you don't know what's gonna happen when you drop the hammer. If the hammer falls on a spent round, the gun shouldn't move. If it does you will easily be able to see what's happening. With an auto, load 1 round in a mag and a spent round in the other mag empty. You may have to use a snap cap or make up a dummy round. Now without looking, load 1 of the mags. Then proceed as before. I use this method all the time to help people see what they're doing wrong. I also use it to check myself with my revolvers.

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
This is not 100% for all shooters but might be worth a try-
I was hoping that you would come along with that chart, i need to keep that for myself to use for my kids :-)

Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha

Good point. What I do in cases like that is exhale completely, hold, then lightly squeeze trigger. Works everytime.
Yes it does, works great.. Some times people will anticipate the recoil and it will throw then off too.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #10

Liked 115 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
That is kinda what I was thinking about...my technique. I tend to inhale and exhale half way...then squeeze the trigger. I hold the trigger in the first crease of my finger from the tip....when you say more or less trigger finger, what are specifically referring to?

There is no doubt that I tend to move the muzzle to the left....all my groups on a fixed site gun are bullseye to 3 rings to the left between 10-20 yards...even on a bench, my groups wander to the left.

I have tried different grips and I do practic a lot with a .22 ...I have a ruger single six which doesn't have the best of trigger and I shoot larger groups...but my ruger MkII is my most accurate hand gun I own with the best trigger of the lot.

I own a few striker fire guns...glock 35, XDm 5.25 and M&P pro series so I will practice a bunch dry firing. Interestingly, while I have not shot those guns much yet, the M&P does the best so far and as you might expect, I can dry fire it without twitching the front sight. The other two tend to move as I dry fire ever so slightly...thinking about a trigger job on the glock as I like it very much but M&P shoots better for me.

Also, I tend to like variety so I will begin to narrow the variation in the guns I shoot and see what happens...all good stuff...just what I was looking for!

Thanks